Monday, September 3, 2007

A new year...

Tomorrow will be the first day of the A-man's highschool life. His first semester is Science, Geography, Learning Strategies, and Drama. Not a bad first semester, really. A couple of harder subjects, a couple not so hard. He should do well. I was very relieved that the school suggested he take Learning Strategies instead of having to take the required French. He's thrilled that he doesn't have to take french, and I'm thrilled that he will finally be taught some methods for staying on task, for being organized, and how to study for a test. I guess we all win.

I hated highschool. The other students were just so nasty. I realize now that it was just immaturity but some people were able to make those five years pretty tough. I had friends during highschool - great friends that I still keep in touch with - but you know that adage about the grass being greener on the other side? Yeah, I always wonder what I would have turned out like if I could have been accepted by the 'popular' kids. I think that it was a good thing that I wasn't.

At the end of the school year last year, the A-man held a party for the entire class. Out of 51 students, 6 came to his party. And you know, they had a great time, and the A-man wasn't upset about it in the least. He felt that his friends came, and that was all he cared about. They all did what they like to do, and no one felt uncomfortable, or that they had to BE any way other than the way they are. To be honest, I think we had the 'good kid' party. I mean, come on, in the middle of the party, a rousing game of chess broke out! But, that is okay by me. The A-man has no desire or interest to be a 'popular' kid - he thinks those people are "pretty much jerks" and thinks it's horrible that people are deemed cool because they play sports.

Kids with Tourette Syndrome don't typically do well in sports. I know I mentioned about the lack of skills both boys have with respect to team sports, and it's funny - the A-man is really pumped about the "Outdoors Club" that they have at school! It's so nice to have things offered that doesn't revolve around sports! And there is drama, too.... he loves drama, and the nice thing is, he doesn't have any type of stutter at all when doing a reading. He finally will have options available to him that actually interest him.

S hasn't really said too much about going to school tomorrow. I am prepared for a major blow up of some sort today. He's had a couple of really late nights, and early mornings...and I know something will be coming. I am ready. I am tired from a late night...but I am ready!

1 comment:

C said...

My oldest has Tourettes. She can't handle too much physical activity, or she gets freaked out or really sick.

She is very creative and artsy. I let her flourish in what she loves. Some days she gets down because she can't do everything other kids do, but for the most part she is very happy with who she is.