Saturday, September 15, 2007

I just want to say I told you so...

I know, I know...gloating and being right will get me no where. But, still. I just want to say it SO badly...

About 12:05 today, I get a phone call at the office - it's S. "Ummm, Mom, I don't have a lunch." I told him that I knew that - he had refused the lunch I had made him. He then told me that he was hungry, and he hadn't eaten any breakfast. Again, I told him that he had made that choice this morning. He said, "but I'm hungry" and I said "I realize that - what do you want me to do about that? I am at work. You made a decision this morning, now I guess you will have to manage to hold on until after school." Aren't I a cold and heartless person?

Now, I would never let him go hungry. I know he could have a very bad afternoon as a result of being hungry. I also know that there should be enough food around that school to at least give him something to eat. I was one of the driving forces in getting the Breakfast for Learning program in our school - I worked with, and trained, many grade 8's on proper health procedures, made arrangements to either purchase or receive donations of various types of healthy and nutritious snacks. I know I haven't been doing the program for a couple of years now, but I know that there would be something around for him. And, if not, I probably would have made some sort of arrangements for him. But you know what? I was still quite ticked at him for acting like such a goof this morning. I told him that he had a problem, and it was him that created this problem, then told him that perhaps he should be responsible for solving that problem.

After a couple of minutes of him trying to come up with ideas, I finally suggested he either call hubby (who had an appointment not too far from the school) or call his Grandma, and I was sure that one of them would be able to get him some sort of lunch. Turns out MIL wasn't home, but FIL was, and he took a sandwich and some of S's favourite Dutch cookies over for him. Rescued, again.
But, that said, I do believe that he did learn his lesson because he did comment about it when he got home from school - how if he hadn't been so stubborn, he wouldn't have had any problems at lunch time. So, maybe, without having to be too obnoxious about it, I can do a wee bit of a "I told you so" dance. (Jori does a wee little "Nah nah nah nah nah naaaa" dance in her seat...)

When the A-man got home this afternoon, he was fine and acting like the problems of this morning had not even occured. I was home from work early - bit of a migrane coming on, I think - and he was quick to come over and offer a bit of a neck rub to help with my headache. He helped with the kitchen clean up without reminders...just a sweet dream child again. I got a call from my cousin about half an hour ago telling me that the A-man had been very helpful to her daughter at the school, even. Maybe he was just really grouchy and needing more sleep? Who knows?!

Anyway, we have a bit of things going on this weekend, but personally, I am really looking forward to getting to sleep in for a couple of days. There are projects to consider, but that will be after I solve the world's problems over a pot of coffee...

No comments: