Wednesday, September 19, 2007

...and tonight...

I'm very tired. Back is sore...just....tired.

Why is it that when the kids go back to school, it simply means that all aspects of a crazy existence has to begin again, too? Run here, run there, do this, get that done... (sigh)...I'm in need of some down time. A bit of a girls weekend, perhaps? I am going to see my cousin this weekend. She has been to see me a number of times at the cottage this summer, but I haven't made it up to her weekend place at all this summer, so I am going to go on Saturday. Was hoping to go last weekend, but those plans got bumped. It should be a fun time. We will eat too much, talk a lot...share a few cocktails, I'm sure. Will probably do me a world of good to have some 'away' time. Also does hubby some good to spend some quality time with the boys.

When I arrived back home from my board meeting, I was pleased to see that the boys had done what I had asked them to do. Again, for the most part. They never do the "whole" job - the correct way (aka - the way I would do it) but I always remember to thank them for their efforts, and tell them that I appreciate their help. Sometimes I will offer a few 'tips' on improving how certain things can be done, but if they are going to attempt it, I do not want to tick them off by telling them it's not 'right.' (Trust me - as a child I was often told what I didn't do right - kids remember.)

The best part? They completed their homework!!! Both of them! ALL of it! Now, I had S working on his while I was preparing dinner, but he didn't whine, or complain, or anything when I suggested he get to work on it. He just got it out and got to it. I am still in a bit of shock to be honest. Hey, don't get me wrong - I am THRILLED with them doing this! True signs of progress, I would say. (touching wood, though...)

As a board member of the ADHD group in the nearby city, I am the 'special events coordinator.' We are currently about to start a membership drive. I have a number of things to work on over the next few days, but it's just a bit of modifications to existing documents. And you know, I don't mind doing that 'work' - it's for a very good cause, and I feel very strongly that an educated parent is a force to be reckoned with. Which is why I volunteer for this group.

Actually, speaking of educating parents - the lady that came over for some advice a few weekends ago phoned me tonight. She is distraught over the IEP that has come home for her daughter. Again. In the past she would have been angry and upset about it, but she would have signed it. Not this time. This time around she is becoming informed. She is learning about how to approach the school on a more educated level - not a hot-headed parent level. I made a few suggestions, and I am hoping she is successful in getting the resources her daughter needs. I know this woman can rub people the wrong way, but her harshness really shouldn't impede her daughter's educational support. I'm trying - as nicely as I can - to empower her, and to teach her that abrasive isn't the way to go. I think she is finally realizing my theory. (It's only been 10 years that I have been trying to explain this...) Her daughter really is a sweet kid - but, I think the teachers (and principal - no, she doesn't go to school with S) are letting their negative opinions of the mother transfer to the child. And that isn't right.

She has borrowed some books, and started to do a little more reading from the Ministry of Education's website. I'd love to have more and more parents become informed. If I have to do it one parent at a time, at least it's one more child that is getting helped. I know we have gone to hell and back trying to get the educational supports we have needed for our sons, but now that we are starting to come out of that tunnel, and I really want to do what I can to help others!

"Let's get ready to R-U-M-B-L-E !!!!!"

1 comment:

SIG said...

Hooray, some chill out time for yourself. Have to relax once in a while.