Thursday, September 6, 2007

Remembering...and planning...

I was driving in to work this morning, thinking how it would be kind of nice to actually not have anything to write in this blog. Of course, now that I've brought things up to speed - for the most part - it will be just day-to-day stuff and 'as it happens' type of events. (That'll be interesting to read when I'm not in the heat of the moment, I think.)

Anyway, I was just thinking about the boys when they were little, and the various things that happened to them on the buses.

Before we moved to our current house, the A-man was in Junior and Senior Kindergarten, and took the bus to school every other day. I remember this one day, he was getting off the bus, and chewing on a piece of licorice. Red licorice. I never bought him things like that - especially red. So, as he was getting off the bus, I said, "Oh, where did you get that?" and he told me it was from the bus driver. I then commented that was nice of the bus driver to give him that, and asked him if he had said thank you. That was all that was said. However, later that night, I got a phone call from the bus driver - he wanted to apologize for giving the A-man candy without getting permission from me, and told me that he never even thought about the fact that it was red candy until after I had said something. I was so surprised by that phone call. I wasn't upset - at all - and here this poor man was stewing about it all evening! Poor guy.

When S was in Junior Kindergarten, he used to fall asleep on the bus on their way home. Not every day, but it wasn't uncommon for the bus driver to holler out the window to me to come and get him - I was usually in the garden or somewhere in the yard. The funny thing was, at four and a half, he didn't nap in the afternoon, but yet those days at school used to just wear him right out! He was so little then... sometimes I miss those days. I loved those two bus drivers. They had their problems with my boys, but they kept it real and knew that they were just kids, being kids, and let things slide. Not so for the one we had up until recently. I won't miss her - she was a strict "by the book" driver - except, of course, for her own son. Ah well, that era has passed!

The A-man seems to be really enjoying highschool. Each night hubby and I have been hearing all kinds of stories about what happened in classes, and what he did, that sort of thing. He hasn't made any friends as of yet - he has lab partners in Science, and he's worked in groups in Geography and Drama - but he just doesn't have the social skills to remember to ask the person their name. I know it will come in time, but I keep giving him little 'social reminders' and pep talks every now and then.

Things have been going well for S, too. I am a little frustrated with his voice-to-text system, but I found the help section, and I'm going to print out the training book, and he and I are going to spend a bit of time training the system to his voice. It is just taking too much effort for him to try and do the easiest of tasks on that thing. Now, that said, at least he is DOING them! He even sat right down with me as soon as I asked him to do his language homework! That is a big improvment.

Both hubby and I are fairly comfortable with computers, so I am sure that between the two of us, we will be able to start getting that system just purring right along for S. Then watch out!

Still haven't heard back about the date for the fMRI - will have to make a follow up call tomorrow about that. If I can actually find my desk...

No comments: