Sunday, September 23, 2007

"Mom, you are a freakin' genius!"

Those were the words uttered by my 14 year old this evening.

Now, I'm not so thrilled about the use of the word freakin' because I know he is replacing another "f" word, but I let it go. The point is, sometimes Moms do know what they are talking about.

The A-man has a science project due on Thursday. I suggested to him that he create a template on the computer for all of his lab reports. My reasoning was that it would make the inputting of the information much easier as the reports got more detailed, and it would also give him just a little bit more experience working within Word.

I showed him how to set up a workable table within the sheet, then I showed him how to actually insert a bar graph. He thought that was the most amazing thing he had ever seen. Hence the genius comment. That opinion, however, was very short lasted when I pointed out to him that the experiment HE just completed wasn't the one the teacher was looking for. Suddenly I became public enemy number one.

Meanwhile, S and I are trying to bake some cookies. Double chocolate chip cookies. They are a moist cake-like cookie. Turned out pretty good, and S even did most of the clean up himself.

The A-man got on with getting his actual project underway. He grunted and groaned about it, but completed the actual experiment. He tried to tell me that he only needed to report on the findings, and complete the graph, but I was having quite a difficult time believing that to be true. My opinion was - and still is - if the teacher gives you a month to do this project, there is far more to it than what can be done in less than half an hour. He was adamant about not having to do anything further.

After a bit of away time, I asked the A-man to come up and explain to me what they do in lab. What they have to do to hand in an in-school lab report. He explained the details to me, and I asked him if what they did in school was to be considered an experiment. He said it was. I asked him if what he had just completed here at home was an experiment. He said it was. I then asked him why the teacher would want him to do all "this" work in class, but not at home. Suddenly he seemed to realize what I was asking.

Now, one thing to keep in mind - this did not go in a smooth manner. Anything but a smooth transition. He was rude, argumentative, and very sarcastic. He resisted me every single step of the way. He did not think he should have to put any more effort in to this project than the brief time he had already spent. Nor did he think he should have to clean up from the experiment.

Well, it was not fun. Nor is it done, but at least the A-man realizes that he will have to do this project in the manner that I am saying it needs to be done. He may mumble about it, but I think he really does see my point. He just does not want to admit that he knows I am right. The problem I have is that I have meetings and appointments every night this week and will not be able to oversee the remainder of the project. That will be hubby's responsibility. And, despite how much I love the man, I never truly believe he takes this responsibility as serious as I do.

S had some more poetry homework this weekend, and he completed it (by himself) this afternoon before I got back home. He said he didn't need any help with it. It is called a diamonte poem. I'm very happy that he completed it all by himself, it's just the actual words that he used to complete the poem that upset me. Here it is:

S (September)
Crazy, freaking
Spazzing, attacking, hurting
Scared, worried, happy calm
Nice, reliable, friendly
Helpful, smart
S (June)

He used words that he feels currently describe him (first half of the poem) and the words he would like to describe him in the future. Hurts me to hear him so negative on himself. He has done so well so far this year. I don't know if he realizes the positive changes he has made. I will have to make a point of talking more to him about this.

During dinner tonight, S showed me his final mark from his history project. He got 20 1/2 out of 25. An 81%. He was totally thrilled with that mark, and we all were thrilled for him. That is the second day in a row that my kids have received some really good marks. I am not complaining, trust me.

I had a good time with my cousin. Far too short - as always. Part of the reason for my visit was for a surprise 40th birthday party for another friend. She and I have grown up together, and met when I was 11 and she was 12. She seemed very happy to have a party in her honour, too. A lot of people were there to offer their best wishes. "Cuz" and I went to visit for a bit this afternoon. I got to snuggle and cuddle her 6 month old little boy. Her 3 year old is so smart, and he just loves to talk, and play, and just BE there. I had a great time while there. Makes me wish I could do that stage once more. Then, I think about how life was for me during those stages, and think, "No way." She is very lucky, and she knows it. I hope these two boys continue to bring her delight for the rest of their lives.

Hubby is a big grouch tonight. Work has him just stressed to the max right now, and I understand that, but I had to read him a mini-riot act after dinner tonight. He is taking his frustation out on me and the boys, and that is not fair. I think he realized what I was saying. Well, I hope so, anyway.

Must dash for now - still lots to work on around the house. Hubby is doing the laundry (yes, I love him very much!!) and I am going to tackle the reorganizing of the bedroom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well thank you "J" for your wonderul comments on my boys. Yes I know that I am very lucky and I count my blessings everyday. I never knew how much "unconditional love" a child/ren have until I had these two little guys. I can still hear B singing Happy Birthday to me on the microphone on Saturday and it still brings tears to my eyes. Thank you so much for coming on Saturday and helping get everything organized for the party. It truly means a lot to me.

Anonymous said...

I think that if you look at the poem as a list (the second half) of what he wants to work towards I think it is great that he so carefully chose those words.

He can see that he WILL improve, evolve... thats very positive. He doesn't appear to think he is stuck in those negitive attributes, so that is awesome.

I like that style of poem. I think I'll try one myself.

Also. Can I get that double chocolate cookie recipe?