Tuesday, September 4, 2007

"This is the FIRST step of Grade 7..."

These were the words my 12 year just uttered to me as he was heading outside to his bus stop. He is nervous today. I think some of the 'nervousness' was for my benefit - you know, just a tad exaggerated - but he did call out in his sleep a few times last night, so we will see.

Hmmmm...that is interesting. The bus just stopped out side our house. They better not have cancelled his special busing. Oh good, the van has just pulled up. Why am I so nervous?

It's a big day today - for both of them. The A-man was a little rushed this morning - as usual - because he didn't move quite as quickly as he should have. He started to storm out of the house, all mad at me for rushing him, but I was able to go out and distract him with trying to figure out a way to remember his locker combination. He quickly saw the humour in the way I was trying to help him remember the numbers - things like, "Oh, that's an easy number to remember...that's how old I wish I was..." Angry and frustrated was not the way I wanted him to start this morning. I'm happy I was able to turn that around. I printed a sheet out with a summary of his locker number, plus his timetable. Just small enough to go in to his pocket. He's only ever been in the school once before, so I am sure he will get himself turned around a wee bit. But, that said, he is starting to realize that others are feeling the same way - he's been 'talking' with people on Facebook - so I think that is good for him, as well. It can be terrible to think you are the only one feeling a certain way.

This is the first year - ever - that I haven't taken them to school on the first day. Of course I knew I wouldn't be able to do that for highschool, but I thought it would be best for S to just start the year without me being there. He's going to meet his EA this morning, and he just has to start doing some things without me. I hate that. Well, in a way I hate that - and in many ways I embrace that concept.

Ahhh...let the games begin.....

No comments: