Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Fall crocus'

Yesterday afternoon, as I started to close my front window, I noticed my fall crocus were coming in to bloom. If you have never seen them before - they are beautiful. A very light purple/mauve colour. (The centres of these flowers are actually where saffron comes from.) Anyway, I saw the crocus, and my heart suddenly felt two things.
The first was, "Oh, aren't they beautiful - it looks like they have spread even more!" and then, sadly, "Oh, summer is officially over now." I always look at the blooming of my fall crocus with mixed feelings. Happy to see them, but sad to know what they actually represent.
I love spring and summer. Spring is, for sure, my very favourite season. Everything is so new, and fresh - just a total rebirth of the earth and everything on it. Summer is nice because the weather is so warm - I love those warm sweltery nights when you just sit out in your shorts and t-shirt and watch for falling stars. I never complain about the heat - even when we get up in to the high thirties. "Bring it on" is what I always think.
You know why that is? I really truly dislike the winter. No, let me modify that. I really truly hate the unbelievably cold, have-your-nose-hair-freezing type days. You know the ones I'm talking about. Those -35 days, with a wind chill that brings it down to almost -45. Those are the days I can truly do without. We had, what? 15 of them last February? Yeah. I was so glad we got to take our family vacation last year to Cuba.
Mind you, the cold weather followed us down to Cuba. The morning we left, it was -37 here, and just after we flew out, they ending up closing down the Toronto airport. We left on a Tuesday. By Friday the cold, wet weather hit the resort. 3 days of rain, and 19 degrees. But, as I said to the one traveller that was complaining about the rain, "Hey, at least you don't have to shovel it." Perception really does make a big difference on a number of things, I suppose.
I spoke with S's teacher this afternoon. Just wanted to touch base with her to make sure things were, in fact, going as well as they appeared. I've known this lady for a number of years. She was actually first introduced to me by Jazzy's mother - about 5 or 6 years ago. They grew up sharing the same culture, and knew each other that way. I've been to gathering with her, and I've talked with her on a more social level since she was hired at our school three years ago. This is the first time she has taught one of my children.
While I was speaking with Mrs. S, she said something that I have NEVER had a teacher say to me. She said, "I have read his full OSR." (That's Ontario Student Record, if you don't know.) She has actually taken the time to go through this very dry document, and actually familiarize herself with all of S's educational past. Wow. Some of those reports are pretty long and detailed. She also commented that I have obviously been through a lot with respect to S, and she would never have known that from our past meetings.
He is doing well. He likes her, and so far there have been no problems AT ALL. Well, honeymoon period, and all that... But, my heart of hearts is hoping that he is going to be able to show this school the REAL little boy he is. The REAL S!
I had to leave for a little while to pick S up from his karate class. On the way home, he told me that he has math homework, and a bit of religion. Suddenly he started getting all upset, and telling me how it was going to take "over an hour" to get it done because there were 64 questions... oh, the tears almost started, even. I told him to calm down, and reminded him that I wouldn't leave him to struggle through - all that stuff you say to a child that is getting upset.
Turns out he only has 32 questions - only the even numbers. Now here is the kicker - how do you explain WHY it is that when you are dividing by fractional numbers, it's really like an inversion, and then a multiply? (eg. 83 divided by 0.01 is the same as 83 times 10?!) He finally just realized what the pattern was, and just got to it. Actually, he is doing it as I type this - being a little distracted by talking to his brother - but he is doing it. By himself!
The A-man doesn't have any homework, again. I am a little concerned, but he is insisting that he is telling the truth. I have no choice but to believe him. He is coming down with a cold. You would think by the way he is carrying on, he is the ONLY person in the world to have suffered this horrible condition. (Good thing he doesn't get sick very often!)
And, another day is coming to an end. I was fortunate to enjoy a beautiful sunset while on the way to pick up S from his karate class. Sunsets are one of my favourite things. That's kind of funny, actually, as a sunset is more like an end - I always seem to like the beginnings more...

This is a photo of my sons, and my nieces up at the cottage - at sunset. Such a sweet picture of innocence, don't you think?

4 comments:

SIG said...

That's a beautiful and very well-taken photo, very artistic, hehe. Have you been 'visiting' me still? ;) Why no photo of sushi? Hehe.

SIG said...

Oh, you must come to Singapore. It's the weather you love here. Believe me, if you live here all your life, you will hate heat. Just like I'll take cold anytime, as I don't live in a country that enjoys 4 seasons. So nice to dress up in winter clothes, which I only do when we visit the in-laws in Ireland. It's never -35 or anything, but you still get frozen ears and noses haha.

Jori said...

A very close friend of mine lived in KL for 7 years, but I was never able to go and visit - having babies at the time...

She told me the weather is exactly like I love... I'm hoping to go to KL in 2009 with S's karate. We will see...

Sushi is NOT cheap here. Was $60 for the boat the A-man and I shared - with left overs for lunch for Mommy, of course! ;o)

SIG said...

We have lots of cheap, or rather affordable Jap restaurants with the conveyor belt. You get 2pcs of sushi (do you eat raw?). I only take raw salmon. And it costs S$1.90. You do the math.