Saturday, September 15, 2007

Love Saturday mornings...

I was supposed to be in a golf tournament this morning, but I decided to opt out, and just take advantage of a day at home. What does it mean when you are just so happy about not having to be anywhere, or do anything by a certain time, and you are just looking forward to getting the laundry caught up and getting some housework done? I suppose it just means that I am looking forward to a day of doing what I want.

I had a birthday the other day. The now infamous 9/11. Up until 2001, I always told people that I had the best birthdate - I called it 911. Then, six short years ago, all of that changed. It almost seems a terrible thing to want to celebrate or do anything on that day. This year, a young man we knew shot himself. The A-man is convinced that my birthday is cursed. A friend of mine told me back in 2001, and again this year, that we need to change my birthdate to Sept 10 - because it was BEFORE these terrible things occured.

Anyway, my MIL just called - she is coming over for coffee - and I suppose to bring me a birthday gift. Made the boys come up and help me straighten the living room. They were both VERY quick to come up and do the tasks I requested. What a difference in these two young men. A couple of years ago, it simply would not have been worth the whining and complaining that would have occurred. I don't know if it is maturity, the ADHD medication, or a combination of both. No matter - it is very nice to be able to make simple requests and know that (for the most part) they will be done. The next big hurdle is making them realize that when I ask them to do it, I really mean "right now" and not - whenever. That is a tough one with them.

The A-man has started a list of things he needs to do his science project. He is starting to realize that a little bit of pre-planning is necessary for these times of things. Over the past few days he has added more and more to his list. It had started with "I just need different kinds of baking soda, Mom." I think we will have to go shopping for them later this afternoon. He will need to do his experiements a few times, he says, so he will have to get started real soon as the project is due in less than two weeks. I can tell he is looking forward to doing this experiement. Mixing baking soda with vinegar, and trying to determine WHICH soda/vinegar combination causes the most gas. It will be fun for him. Then, I will have to burst his bubble and remind him that he is also responsible for the clean up!

S will have to print out his project, and do a bit of artwork for it, but for the most part, he is finished. Have to make sure I remember to buy ink for my printer. Scanner won't even work with the ink levels this low.

Another week done - and no big problems. Found out that S's EA may not be truly "full time", but I am not going to get too upset about that right now. If he is able to be successful with an EA 75% of the time, that will be okay too. I know there are many kids with needs - resources are so scarce. Yeah, and we have so bone-head in the Ontario government that wants to start funding all kinds of schools. "Hey, jerk, start properly funding the schools you currently have!!"

Okay - need to get the coffee on - MIL is just pulling in the driveway...

No comments: