Sunday, September 9, 2007

Homework - DONE!

I am in total shock right now. S was able to complete his homework today, with very little to NO resistance!! This has never happened. Ever.

I knew that he has a project due next week, so I asked him to get it out and we would formulate a plan of attack for it. Turns out his EA already has a plan of attack, and told him which section she wanted to see done by tomorrow.

At first he thought he would hand write the information. Yeah, I didn't think that was such a good idea. Graphomotor learning disablity does not bode well to handwritting. Plus, I really want him to start utilizing the laptop. So, in three separate stages, I had him work on the section of the project he had to have done for the morning. Each and every time I said that it was time to do a bit more - HE DID IT. I'm still in shock. He is starting to realize that using the various methods available on the system can really speed things along. He also is starting to realize that the computer just is not going to understand any words he speaks that have an "R" in it - so he used the word prompting section of the programing. Heck, I was even able to offer suggestions on the draft revisions, and he didn't start yelling at me.

When he was just about finished with the project stuff, he actually volunteered that he had math homework, too. He never does that. Well, maybe he knew I would be reviewing the agenda so he thought he'd better tell me about it first. Don't think so though - I think he just remembered that he had it.

After dinner, he brought out the math homework, and did it all. I was even able to take a phone call and he continued to do the work. He doesn't need me there to tell him the answers - he just needs me there to know that I will help him if he needs it. Sometimes a little bit of explaination can go a very long way. I have also found that often times hubby and I are able to explain in a different way that just enables S to finally 'get' it. It is very time consuming - homework. I wish I could just get him going and then go about my own way, but that just doesn't work in this house. My big hope is that hubby finally starts to get this. I hate having to leave him in charge or ensuring homework is done. He just isn't used to having to sit for any length of time, nor does he seem to realize that it just will not get done if a parent isn't there.

I'm a happy girl tonight. I made sure I told S how proud of him I was. He seems pretty proud of himself, too.

No comments: