Friday, September 21, 2007

Having a brain gap..

My son....my "I hate writing, it's boring, it's messy, and I never know what to say" son... GOT A 95% ON HIS DRAMA JOURNAL!! I was so proud of him last night when he told me about it!

After we dropped S off at karate, and I was driving the A-man to meet with his friends, he was telling me about this journal he had to do for drama class. I guess they did it in class, because I had never heard about it before this. He said that he mainly wrote about the differences between elementary school and highschool, and their feelings about the two. Observations about the differences, that sort of thing.

After we did a high-five for the great mark, I started asking him questions about what he wrote, etc., and asked him if the teacher had commented on anything he wrote. He said she wrote quite a few comments - all very flattering - but the one that sticks in my mind is that she told him one of his paragraphs was very deep. He told me he didn't know what she meant by that. I didn't comment, either. I haven't read the journal as of yet, but I have asked him to bring it home so that I can read it. I will explain her 'deep' comment after I know the context that it was written in.

A 95% in a written assignment. That has never, EVER happened! A mark like that is expected in Math, even in Science, but a written assignment - unheard of. Shows what a little bit of interest can do, huh?

S's agenda had a very nice note in it yesterday, too. His EA made a note saying how she and the teacher were very pleased with S's attention to homework detail, and said that he was doing well in class, too.

Okay - could the real children return? I am not complaining, mind you, I'm just a little surprised. Thrilled beyond explanations, but surprised. Have the years of school nonsense really come to an end? I would be very surprised if that truly was the case...but wouldn't it be nice?

Off to hug my children...then I'm going to bed! Away for the next couple of days, but Sunday afternoon will be Science Project time!

1 comment:

SIG said...

Congratulations. That is a huge achievement. Have posted some sushi for you. ;)