Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Sneaky Little Rat Fink...

Why, oh why, do children really think they can pull a fast one on their parents?


Oh yes, he did. He lied to me about having homework. I tried to allow him the opportunity to suddenly 'remember' his homework...but he kept trying to say he didn't. Totally busted. He was slow moving this morning - not ready when the bus arrived. I went out to wave the bus on, then came in and told him that it was the perfect time for him to get his homework done. He looked at me funny, and I told him that I knew he had homework because the teacher had told me he did. I was very annoyed and angry, but I was able to just say it like a person would say "Hey, how are you?" You know how long it took for him to complete the work? Yeah - less than 5 minutes.


I don't know how I am going to impress upon him the need to do his homework AT home. It is not called "buswork" for a reason. It is HOMEwork - meant to be done at HOME. Television privileges, and computer privileges are going to have to be reduced for a little bit, I think. Priorities...it's all about what is most important. TV and computers - not important. Education - very important.

...little while later...

The A-man was reading over my shoulder as I was typing the above post. He has never actually come to my blog - not sure if he ever would take the time to read it - but, since he started reading what I was typing at about the 3rd sentence, I figured I should direct my comments to him.

Received a phone call yesterday afternoon from the science teacher. She was apologetic for not being aware of his situation. I told her that I understood these things take time to filter down to the teacher, but thought I would take the initial steps to bring her up to speed on the learning challenges faced by the A-man, etc. She is going to provide him with notes at the beginning of class when there is a lot of written work, but he will be expected to still take smaller notes. That is fine with me - he needs to learn how to do both, right? She also requested that the A-man make a point of coming in and talking to her about his needs - if he needs to release some tics, or if he is feeling frustrated, she wants a code word between them - that sort of thing.

He did go in a bit early yesterday to ask his questions, but he didn't tell her about the Tourettes or the note taking. Told me he didn't have time. I explained to him - again - that there are many others that require special treatments, etc., and if its not made in to a big deal, it won't become one. This morning, as we were driving in to school, I explained that if he simply takes the notes and carries on, chances are the rest of the people in the class won't even notice. I also explained to him that there are others in the class that are getting what he calls 'special treatment' and asked him if was aware of it. He wasn't. I'm hoping he starts to get it.

S had another good day. He didn't get much done on the project, though. First night of cadets for the A-man, my birthday, and other errands had to take priority for us. Tonight is a free night for all, and both will be required to do some work on their various projects.

On a very sad note, an acquaintance of hubby and I had some very tragic events occur yesterday. Again, mental health issues have reared their ugly head in our lives. An 18 year old boy suddenly took his own life yesterday afternoon. He left a message on Facebook for his friends, phoned his mother to "forgive her", wrote a note to the family, and broke the locks of his father's hunting equipment. There were many locks. It's all so sad, and very difficult to explain to the kids. Bear's son was very close to this boy - I am very worried about how he will cope with this. He is such a sensitive and sweet boy -dealing with far too much for a boy of 13.

Hug those close to you. And tell them you love them. You just never know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

isn't it strange how highschool teachers with many,many classes(and therefore students) can be sooo very accomadating to those with needs but a primary teacher with less than 30 has such difficulty accomplishing the same task????
Makes one scratch one's head in bewilderment.