Monday, March 10, 2008

Situation comedy

A small job to be completed by Hubby on Saturday turned in to a full-blown event that could have been the premise of a half hour sit-com!

Our kitchen faucet has been giving us grief for a while. Not 'leaking' in the traditional sense, but if you were putting water in to the left sink, it would come out the faucet as it should, but also shoot out the back too - all over the counter. We have endured this for a while, simply because Hubby had repaired it (a number of times) and so we just figured we would replace the faucet - eventually. I wanted to make sure it was NOT going to happen again, so I was determined to find one that I felt was 'good quality.'

Friday afternoon, I get the phone call that our faucet is in. I get the faucet, and Hubby figures that he will replace it on Saturday afternoon while I am out with Jazzy's mom for her birthday surprises. While I am out, I get a text from Honey asking me to pick up some Teflon tape. As I am approaching the hardware store, Honey phones, and tells me to look at sinks, too. Uh oh. Apparently the old faucet is so rusted on to the existing sink, and he has fought with it for about two hours now, so Hubby figures it will be just easier to replace the sink.

While I am at the store, I mention to Jazzy's mom that I have wanted to replace my typical double sinks with a one-and-a half plus sink since my Mom had her kitchen make-over. I find the 'new' sink, call hubby for the necessary dimensions, etc. Dimensionally, this new sink is going to work. So I bring it - and the teflon tape - home. Yippee, I'm getting my new faucet installed, and getting a new sink in the process!

Summary:
  • dimensions might be same, doesn't mean hole is...
  • the lock-on bolts have to go on sink BEFORE sink's final placement...
  • plummer's putty is s-l-o-w moving...
  • turn hot water off BEFORE playing with dishwasher connector hose...
  • new sinks don't necessarily have drain holes in same areas...
  • cooking meals for two days without running water in the kitchen - do not advise this...
  • Finally able to clean up kitchen at 9pm on Sunday night - PRICELESS
So, yes, the sink did not win - Hubby was victorious! His knees, back and neck are feeling the strain of the battle, but the new sink - and faucet!! - are now in place. They are wonderful. :o)

The A-man was 'bored' for most of the weekend. I am not sure how this will bode for the remainder of the week off. I am willing to bet he will continue to torment and tease his brother... should be fun.

Found out on Friday that I have to go to Montreal for the show there - it is this coming weekend. Told Boss that I would go, but that I would not drive it. Way too long a drive for a weekend. He was fine with that, so I am flying out late Thursday afternoon, and will be home for bedtime Sunday night. Commuter planes...what a great creation...

No comments: