Thursday, March 27, 2008

Reflecting

When I arrived home yesterday afternoon, the boys were outside - in the very deep snow - playing baseball. After that they got in to a rousing game of football, which was interesting considering the amount of snow they were trying to run through. I know Spring must be close when I see my children actually going outside - on their own accord - to play. The temps were just above freezing, but yesterday had been so sunny, it almost seemed tropical. (Notice that I said "almost")

Not sure what is going to happen today at work - Boss gave assistant a bit of an ultimatium. I may be looking for another assistant before too long. (sigh)

I went to an information session for the ADHD association last night. What a great session! We had a number of new faces at the meeting, and you could just tell that they were brand new to the whole "Special Education" world. Boy, do I ever remember being in their shoes!
You have SO many questions, and you hear all these acronyms and terms, and you have NO idea what any of it means... it can be daunting for even the most willful of people.
The part that I find most effective in these sessions is the second hour - the hour that is 'open forum' where people get to just discuss what is important to them.
Some people rant - gosh it's nice to be with others that really, truly understand.
Others want advice - my son is lying all of time...how can I get him to stop?" (So typical of the ADHD child...)
And others are just there to help share their years' of experience with the ADHD child. They have 'children' that are in their late teens - these are the true battle veterans that have "been there, done that."
Although the organization may not be very large, it DOES help people understand this often confusing disorder known as ADHD. I just wish we could reach more people! We have a very good board, and we are doing our darndest to get our information out there, but I have found the stigma associated with ADHD is not always the best. Gotta love the media.

Mind you, with jerks like "The Tourette Guy" on the internet, that disorder doesn't get very positive attention, either. Come to think of it, most of the disorders that affect either one, or both of my children, have some pretty negative stereo-types attached to them... Gee, no wonder I felt like a failure as a parent for so many years. At least now I know that I dealt with the cards I was dealt in the best way I could, and now, my kids are pretty darn awesome! :o)

No comments: