Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I must explain yesterday's blog - I was not having the best of days at work.
I just don't understand how someone can be SO obtuse about so many subjects, and just not get it. Then, when you explain in further detail, said person then acts like you are the idiot - almost like he was testing to see if you knew what you were talking about. It's not been much better this morning, I'm afraid. For now that is all I am going to say.

I left work at 3 yesterday. The A-man had a final check at the orthodontist, and the braces come off next week. He is very happy about that, I will admit. After the appointment, the boys and I went on a 'date.' We went and picked up some fun "St. Patrick's Day" stuff - me for the weekend in Montreal, them for Monday at school. The luck of the Irish will be surrounding us.

After our shopping trip, we did a few more errands, then we went to a movie - we saw "The Jumper." Not a bad movie - more of a prequel for the next one, if you know what I mean. The computer graphics and special effects were incredible, but when it was finished, you just knew that another one was going to be coming out.

When the movie was finished, we had just enough time for me to head over for my 'website training' for the ADHD board. The boys came with me - obviously - and they were happy to see the gaming systems at the house we were having the meeting at. They played like "RockStars" and watched a movie. The snow was falling as we left, but closer to home there was nothing, thank heavens.

When we got home, all hell broke loose. The A-man had purchased a new video game for his Wii while we were doing our errands. He got frustrated when he was trying to load up the game, and then S and I were the targets for his RAGE episode. I did not manage things as well as I could have, I suppose, but this does happen when trying to do too many things at once. Lesson learned for Mom.

Over the past few days, I have noticed that the A-man does not cope well with unstructured time. He was commenting Saturday that he was 'bored.' This does not bode well when just starting a week's break...
He acted a total goon on Monday, to the point that my mom even commented on it when we went for a visit. He was much better yesterday, but last night, not so much.
After quite a bit of down time in his room, he was able to think more rationally. I could tell he was very remorseful over his earlier actions, which then lead me to (again) trying to explain to him that he needs to take time away from the frustrations rather than trying to 'improve' things - which then ALWAYS makes it worse.
I don't know if he will ever fully understand that things can never be 'better' while in the heat of the moment, but my hope is that if I continue to explain this, maybe - eventually - it will sink in. The A-man has grown and matured so much - he just needs to realize that he isn't quite there just yet. (Being 6 feet tall does not make you 'fully grown' in that sense.)

Poor S was just trying to stay out of the A-man's way while this episode was going on, but no matter what he did, he just seemed to be a target. Pet the cat, the A-man screams at him...try to make a joke, get yelled at. Yeah, it just was not a very good end to an otherwise fun afternoon.
Poor R-man was in his room, with the door closed, I'm sure wondering what was happening, and why. This is when I become so embarrased about the rage episodes. In my head I know that *I* have nothing to be embarrased about, but I still suffer from that - and guilt. The A-man is totally irrational during the event, then SO upset after he has calmed. 98% of the time he is a delight - the other 2%... not so much.

I am sad today. Just.... sad.

No comments: