Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Truly back to normal

When I got home from work last night, both boys were downstairs watching TV, or playing video games. One of the two. The R-man was putting his grocceries away. Hubby is on afternoons for the next two weeks.

I got dinner ready, and we all discussed the days events over dinner. Of course, after clearning the table, both boys tried to take off back downstairs, but I hauled them back up to work on homework. The A-man has a Science project due on Friday. He has known about it since the beginning of the school year. We even discussed it over the course of the two week holiday. Yeah, he didn't bring his Science stuff home last night. I was ever so impressed.

Monday - as in just under a week from now - will bring his Drama written exam. He did sit down last night and complete his study sheet, which was fairly detailed. I guess they do the written exam, then have a full week and a half of rehersals for the performance exam. But, that is completed before exam week, so when it actually comes down to the week of exams, he gets a day off. Meaning, at the end of January, he will have one exam on the Monday, then the rest of the week off. I will be totally swamped with our second show, as it is the first weekend in February, so I won't even be able to do anything fun with him that week.

When I first got home, I realized S hadn't brought his laptop home. He told me that he didn't need it for his Science homework, because he just "had to draw lines." I was confused, but more hungry, so I figured I would review after we had dinner. In a way, he was correct - he simply had to draw a line from the scientific term to the proper definition of the term.

While he was doing this, I took that time to go through his binder, and his agenda. As I was doing this, I realized that he is going to need a LOT more hands-on assistance with organizing his notes, etc. He has papers all over the place - most of them not in the proper subject sections. My thoughts are that this could be part of the EA's job - you know, "assisting with organization" as is written in his IEP - but I could be wrong. I will be asking for clarification from either the principal or the SERT.

When I went through his agenda, I noticed that he also had religion homework. I asked him about that, and that is when he started to hit himself in the head because he forgot the laptop. Apparently he had started that homework on the computer. I'm thinking he thought he was going to get out of that homework, but since he was just required to paraphrase verses 1-12 of Matthew 2, I was able to pull out the bible, read the verse to him, then he sat down and typed up the paragraph. Of course, it took him quite a bit longer than it would have if he'd had his school computer, but maybe he will realize that NOT having the computer isn't going to get him out of doing the work.

I am such a mean mother.

No comments: