Thursday, January 10, 2008

Crazy Days

I was a terrible, horrible, bad, bad mother last night.

I didn't get home until just after six, and then I was back out the door for 6:30 and didn't return back home until almost 10. Poor neglected children of mine. Of course, I had made chicken stew in the morning - S just popped it in the oven when he got home from school, and we ate when I got home, so at least I fed them. The R-man was here for the evening, and therefore they weren't alone. Huh - I guess I'm not that terrible after all... but S didn't do his homework. I suppose there are worse things in life.

Okay - let me back track a wee bit to Tuesday evening. S had both History and Geography homework - quite a bit, actually. When I read his agenda, I discovered that some of the geography had been assigned prior to the holidays, but S didn't know where his finished work ended up. I started to look through his binder, and discovered more and more mess and disorganization. I asked him about the work maybe being in his desk. "You have never seen my desk, Mom. Trust me - you can't find anything in there," is what I was told. Perfect. I am going to discuss this with the SERT - S is supposed to receive additional support with respect to organization. Obviously this has not been happening. We plowed through the homework, and he was actually pretty good about getting it all done, and about the amount of time it took to ensure it was all finished.

The A-man has a science project due on Friday. Monday night he didn't bring home his Science binder. Tuesday night, he actually brought up the project over dinner, and asked for suggestions on how he might approach it. Everyone around the table - including the R-man - offered suggestions. The A-man had been working on Geography when I got home from work, and after dinner, I'm pretty sure he was getting down to business with respect to Science. He told me yesterday at dinner that he isn't as stressed about the Science since he has actually started working on it. When I got home from work yesterday, he had been working on it as well.

Oh - quick, funny story. I think the A-man 'grew' over the holidays. He school uniform pants are fitting much more tightly around the waist than they were pre-Christmas. He wore his khakis on Monday, and they were really tight. He has worn the dress pants for the remainder of the week - I told him I thought the waist was a bit bigger on them. I guess I will have to order some new ones. Poor kid - he's got both Mom and Dad's quick ability to gain weight.

Had a board meeting last night. Actually, was a co-operative board meeting between the ADHD board, and the LD board. We are looking to see if we can possibly pool some resources to assist in developing and growing both organizations. It was a good meeting, but after so many long hours, my mind wasn't really all there. Soon, the craziness will be done at work.

And finally, some good news. Hubby has booked a trip for he and I to Manzanillo, Mexico for February 8! One week, all inclusive resort, right on the Pacific Ocean. Sun and sand... it will be heaven. I am really looking forward to that.
Hubby doesn't know it yet, but Boss informed me yesterday that my presence may be required at this year's Governor's Conference in Mississippi - which would mean I will be getting home from Mexico on the Friday, then leaving for Biloxi on the Sunday! Nothing has been confirmed yet, so I won't be saying anything about that until I know one way or the other. Shhh - it's our secret.

No comments: