Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Nothing to report

It's true. There is not much going on here in our lives.

The A-man went to break up beaver dams with his Outdoors club today. Tried to tell me that he sprained his ankle, and therefore couldn't go to Air Cadets tonight. The same fight, week after week. I guess I will just return his uniform - I am not going to fight him on this any longer. It's just not worth it. I would really like him to find outside interests, but I can't force this on him any longer. I'm too tired.

I think I'm giving in on this because he has actually taken the initiative to join this outdoors club and do things with it. He is also taking a hunting course this weekend, so that may be something for him, too. I knew alternatives would be available in highschool (less team sports-oriented only), and for this I am glad.

S tried a similar thing last night with respect to karate, but that is one thing I am not going to allow him to quit - for a couple of reasons. The main one being - he is really good at it, and, truth be told, I think he really does like it, but the kids that attend the classes with him aren't very nice to him. I've noticed that the teachers aren't all that "warm and fuzzy" with him either. A shame, when you consider he is a natural.

Over the years, S has done so well with other things and then quit when it started getting a little bit harder. Piano was a perfect example. He has a natural ear for music, but when the theory homework got to be too much for him, he refused to practise. Had I known about his reading LD, I would have talked to the teacher about not focusing on theory and just allow him to continue to PLAY. Hindsight really is a wonderful thing.

Anyway, I do have an alternative for the karate classes - a different group of kids, and different teachers - but it is going to take some finagling for transportation. I think my friend (Con) has come up with something that may work - but it will depend largely on her ability to come and pick him up a couple nights a week. We are going to test it out for the next couple of weeks and see if that makes a difference.

Busy season at work has started to go to full boil. New assistant seems to be working out well, but now I've just go SO much going, it's hard to stop and take the time to train someone new! Today I actually saw a bit of wood on my one desk, and left the office feeling like I got a number of things completed. That is always a relief.

No homework again tonight... I don't get it. No matter. I am making dinner right now - a seafood pasta dish - and then we are heading out so that S can spend his allowance money - can't save that up for too long. I think he will get a haircut at the same time. Will be kind of nice to not have the running around on Tuesday evenings...

No comments: