Sunday, November 4, 2007

Are we getting there?

After I wrote my last blog, I got an email from Cuz asking if I thought that maybe, just maybe, my boys were starting to grow up, and become more independent? She has two sons, both grown now, and told me that when that finally happens, it is almost a bittersweet time of life. I can see that.
For years, I have had to fight and fight for my sons. I was always having either a phone call, or a meeting to go over the latest tidbit of "what he has done now..." and lately, that hasn't been the case. (I probably shouldn't even voice that out loud - oh, I will be SO sorry...) But, maybe not. I remember when I started this blog I was hoping that the 'past' would be over, and I would be able to just talk about day-to-day stuff. I've never really experienced 'normal' day-to-day things, so I guess that is what is going on now. I quite like this change. It has me a bit confused and unsure, but I am willing to adjust!

When I was away, Hubby went to parent/teacher interviews for the A-man. As it stands right now, he is above 80 in all of his classes, with one of them even being in the 90's. But, the one thing that he was told again and again was that he rushes in doing his work, and all of the teachers feel that he would do better in school if he simply took his time in completing various tasks. The A-man was very proud of his marks - as he very well should be - and he even offered the information about the rushing of the work. I am hoping this means he will start to slow down and wee bit and realize that you don't need to be done first - you just need to be done right. Slowly he is getting there.

I would like to see him utilize his agenda more - make notes about what is to be done, and then be able to take the necessary time later. He doesn't like homework, and I don't know how to teach him that homework is part of what makes (or breaks) your highschool training. When you take the time to do homework properly, it is a preparation for secondary education. I think he will get it - eventually. I'm thinking that I will have to talk to the resource teacher about this in the next little while - just to make sure that is part of the learning strategies course.

S was very good to do his Science work today - without any involvement from me. It's amazing what they can do when they realize it has to be done. A shame that I still have to give so many 'reminders.'

Slowly, ever so slowly... is it really true??

No comments: