Thursday, October 4, 2007

Little Black Rain Cloud

Whew - S was in one terrible mood when I got home from work tonight. He was not going to karate, he would not do this, that or anything else. He hated the world, and everyone in it. And, me being the mean and cruel mother that I am, told him to get his geh on, and get in the car. Such sympathy I show.

Turns out he was caught red-handed doing something in the A-man's room, and he was annoyed that he got in trouble. The A-man now has a lock on his bedroom door because this was the second day in a row that he has suspected S was in there. I am not a big fan of locks on bedroom doors, but for this, I will adjust.

En route to karate class, S was bemoaning the fact that he was supposed to be doing his homework. He needed to get this MAJOR project done...and on and on he went. I asked him about it, and it turns out that he needs the lyrics to an Abba song. Gee...I tell him "The Internet will have that, buddy. What song do you need?" Here's the kicker - "I don't know the name of the song Mom. My partner really likes the tune, it goes like this (he do-wop-diddies a tune). Do you think you can find those words, Mom?"

Sure, I think - "Abba only had about 100 songs - should be a snap!" Turns out it wasn't all that difficult. Stopped by a friend's place while S was in karate class, and happened to mention that I was going home to review the A-man Abba DVD to see if we could find a certain song. Of course, she thought if S could sing her a few words she would know the song. I explained that I had tried that. She lent me a CD, and as we were driving home, it was song #14! "Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimme (a man after midnight)" Hmm...should I be worried that this is a favourite song of a 12 year girl?? lol

So we were able to pull the lyrics off the Internet, and all is right in S's world once again. He even phoned this little girl to play her the song to make sure it was the right one. Apparently she is "greatly relieved" that S was able to find the song.

The A-man didn't have any homework again tonight. This is odd. Well, maybe not. When I had my meeting with his resource teacher the day, she did tell me that they are given class time to work on assignments/homework, so I guess that is when he is doing his work.

His drama teacher apparently praised him the other day for being very brave to wear certain pants for drama class. Monday night, the A-man is searching the house high and low for his certain sleep pants. They have bright green and yellow "Sponge Bob" faces on them - and they are flannel. Anyway, he wanted them to take to school the next day. In drama they were told to bring 'comfortable pants' to change in to for the dance segment on the class. The A-man feels that these are the most comfortable pair of bottoms he has, so he took them. She praised him for being willing to take such a risk. See, I didn't think of it as a risk - I thought kids wore those sorts of things all the time! I know I've seen lots of girls wearing flannel sleep pants for outwear.

I'm all prepared for my 'team meeting' tomorrow. I have pages of information printed, and I am ready to go!

On a work note - I have started to train my new assistant. She seems to be very efficient, but she doesn't quite seem to realize that when I am in the middle of something is NOT the best time for endless chatter. I am hoping I will be able to get that across to her without having to come right out and say it. I've never been 'the boss' before, and I'm really not sure of how to proceed with this. Right now my thought is to just let her get used to the job, and I will be putting so much on her desk she will be just too busy to spend time chatting! Don't take me wrong, I like to chat at work too, but it's so important the realize the time/place factor, and I don't think she is quite there yet. Which is funny because she is my age. Oh well, we will manage, I'm sure.

No comments: