Tuesday, October 9, 2007

A free night - and my pie drama

The A-man claimed he was 'too ill' to go to Air Cadets tonight, and I just didn't quite have it in me to argue this evening. So, we had a nice dinner of homemade Turkey Pot Pie - love turkey leftovers... and then the boys had a relatively easy evening. No homework for either of them! Both, however, were very good to come up and do the dishes when I asked, so that was very nice. Kitchen table even got cleared off without reminders. (wow)

This evening, I was able to get some things done for the ADHD association, and for the past little while, I have been playing on my Facebook account. I have reaquainted myself with people I haven't seen in 20 years for some, maybe 25 for a few others. (Which in itself is amazing, considering I'm only 21...)

I have been given IEP homework by S's SERT, and I think I may begin to tackle that in a few minutes. You can only look at other's pictures for so long, even though it is very interesting to see how people's kids look like siblings, etc.

Hubby is back on nights, so it will be solo for the next couple of weeks, and in two weeks from tomorrow, I will be leaving for my Mississippi trip - which is starting to come together nicely. I will have a few different meetings established, but Boss is making sure I will also have plenty of fun time, also. Assistant is starting to adapt to the job, but I know there will be many more learning experiences for her in the next little while.

Oh, and I need to share a funny story about the pies I made on Saturday. At the time, it wasn't all that funny, but I am over that now. When we got back from errands on Saturday afternoon, I got down to the messy business of making pie dough. Got the dough all made, and put it in the fridge to chill. Peel a million apples, and made the base for an apple/raspberry crisp for that night's dinner. Also combined everthing for the apple pie. I was out of walnuts, so I used almonds - it was still good.

Put the chicken in the oven to roast, and also peeled the carrots for the dinner too. Put the apple crisp in the oven, and started rolling out the pie dough. Made the apple pie, then rolled out the dough for the lemon and the pumpkin pies. As dinner was finishing, I did a blind bake of the crust for the lemon, then made the filling and the meringue. We had dinner, I cleaned up from that, then got started on the pumpkin pie. (For the record, I do not eat pumpkin pie - it was simply because this is my brother's and my mother's favourite type of pie.) Finally finished all the pies, clean up, etc., after many hours in the kitchen. Snuggled with hubby, then went to bed. Left the pies on the table to complete the cooling - can't put them in container when they are still warm because they get too mushy.

Well, Sunday morning, when I wake up, Hubby is standing in the bedroom door with a big smile on his face. "Well," he says, "it would appear the pumpkin was the favourite!" I'm still waking up, so I have no idea what he is talking about. Then, suddenly it dawns on me! "Oh, no," I moan..."Did the kittens get in to the pies??" Oh yes, they did. Our kittens are 7 months old, and I am not used to having kittens that do these sorts of things. My other cat was 16 when she died in March, and she never went on tables or counters. Apparently Abby and Lily (our kittens) do not have that same fear of me.

The pumpkin pie looked like it had about 2 or 3 paw swipes out of it, the meringue was missing in one little area on the lemon pie, and it appears the crust was too much of a challenge for them to get in to the apple pie. I stood there, feeling the aches in my feet and calves, and just said "I don't have the time or energy to make new ones," and I took the pies as they were to the cottage! Yes, I did. The pumpkin had two pieces taken out of the 'non-paw side' (as we dubbed it) and the A-man and I said we didn't mind sharing our lemon pie with the kittens - but we still took from the non-affected side.

Maybe not the most hygenic, but it was a great cause for some laughter over the Thanksgiving table. And, really, isn't that what Thankgiving is all about? We were thankful for the food we were eating, and the family we were sharing it with, and I'm sure that if asked, Abby and Lily would be thankful for the sampling of human food they got to have! I will also chalk that up to a learning experience, and will be sure to cover future baking items that require cooling.

No comments: