Friday, October 19, 2007

Hard to believe...

Yes, it's sometimes true. Hard fact of life, but true. Sometimes - on SOME occasions - Mom's actually DO know what they are talking about. But only sometimes.

Got out of homework duties again last night. S had a field trip to the museum, and therefore had no homework. Again, I am not sure how the A-man is able to not have any to do, but I can not push him too much considering he is doing so well.

The A-man brought home his interim marks from his Science class today. He is sitting with an 84% average right now. Class average is at 78%. He was very pleased with that overall mark - as he very well should be. I was very happy and pleased for him, too. After a little while, I started to look over the various components of the marks - you know, the mark for skills (100%) for assignments (89%) and the mark for tests (65%).

Oh - pardon me? Did I just hear you give a surprised gasp at that test score?? Yeah, I did the very same thing. Remember that test that he knew everything about and therefore didn't need to study over the weekend? Yes, well, apparently 'everything' is actually 65% in the A-man's world. I showed him that particular piece of information, and he seemed a little surprised about it. I don't think he has actually received that test back yet. I am hoping he realizes that knowing 'everything' and actually taking the time to review notes will actually be a better way to ensure a mark that is higher than 65.

S gave me a VERY hard time about getting ready for school today. Then I found out from the A-man that S had a test today and that was why he didn't want to go. It was to be a test on finding the area of a circle. Apparently what he had done the other day was "all wrong" so I had less than 7 minutes to determine where he had gone wrong, plus get his teeth brush and him dressed and out the door. Well, he was dividing the circumference of the circle by two, rather than multiplying. So, I repeated that like a mantra while he was getting his pack ready, and he seemd to calm down a fair bit.

When are they going to realize that having a test the next day is actually to be considered homework? ARGHGGGHGHGHGHH!

No comments: