Friday, April 4, 2008

Where has the time gone?

Today, the A-man turns 15.

I am still amazed that this can be so. It just seems like yesterday that the doctor's office called to confirm my pregnancy test was positive.
I remember when he was just days old: My house was full of friends and family getting ready for my parents 25th wedding anniversary (would have been nice for him to be born on time, rather than waiting over 2 weeks to make his entry...) and as I held him his entire body filled my arms from wrist to elbow. Cuz told me to enjoy it - he would grow so fast. At the time I could never have believed it truly would.

Oh, as he grew up, and we started to encounter the many issues that have occured with him, I will admit that the days just seemed to be never ending. Still - 15 years, gone.
~~~
We had parent teacher interviews for the A-man last night. Mid-term reports will be coming out soon, so I guess they just like to let the parents know in advance of what to expect. In the fall I was not able to attend the meetings because I was in Mississippi, so this was a very new experience to me.
The teacher for our first appointment was running late, so Hubby and A-man went to the second appointment while I waited for the first. His English teacher. Well, I sat down and she told me, "I just have to say, I love the A-man. He is such a great student, and I loved him right from the very first day." I smiled, naturally, but inside I was quite unprepared for such a glowing report of my boy. Only once before (just last year) have I ever really heard a good thing about him, and that was from a teacher that I knew socially - so it just didn't hit me quite the same way.
The teacher asked me if he had tourettes, and then told me that his IEP didn't specify that - she has taught TS students before, which is why she suspected that. She said that despite the stutter, the A-man never hesitates to participate in class. She is amazed at how well he comprends all that he reads, and how quick his is to raise his hand to answer questions. She commented more than once that his love of reading makes him an ideal English student, and she was surprised when the A-man told her that he wasn't good in English.
My meeting with the English teacher was just the beginning of a very positive evening; all of his teachers had nothing but positive comments about him:

  • In English he needs to just slow down when doing hand-written work, take the time to proof-read, and if possible, type his notes rather than doing by hand. Sitting at 84%
  • In Math, there were no concerns that the teacher mentioned. Sitting at 86%
  • In Phys-ed, the teacher wants him to give 110% (I hate that comment - you can't give more than 100%) and be serious about warm ups, etc. Sitting at 84%
  • In Religion, the teacher explained how he uses real life experiences to let the kids realize that religion, and the bible, really do apply to modern day-to-day life. He has a very unorthodox approach to teaching religion - one that students love, and many parents have issues with. He insisted that grades were irrelevant, and that the people (and karma!?!?) you surround yourself with are really more important. He said A-man's circle is a very positve circle. (see what I mean about unorthodox?) Sitting at 79%, but has not yet turned in 2 assignments, but there are no deadlines on handing in assignments.
All in all, this is not the same child that had the teacher phoning me to whine and complain, and then give 3 failing grades to in Grade 7.
Not the child that in Grade 4 was tested for giftedness, but decided it was 'boring' so only did what he had to do.
NOT the child, that at aged 4 told his day-care provider that the food was garbage, and he would not eat it.
Not the child that I have heard - repeatedly - "Thank GAWD that isn't my kid..."

THIS is the child that in my heart of hearts I knew he was, and could be.
THIS is the child I have always loved, and I am SO glad that he has finally emerged for the rest of the world to see.


Happy Birthday A-man. I love you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where do I start? I will keep this short and simple. Just a second....

...OK, I am back. I cried.

I cried, I regained my composure (such that it is) and began this comment. I got to the word "simple" and cried again...my office door is still shut in fear that I may cry again during this comment.

As a father of an ADHD/ODD son (age 9) and an adult with ADHD there are tense moments for sure, but there is always love, pride and the knowledge that he is bursting with potential. When your child is placed in the hands of a teacher that "gets it" and takes the time to understand them and then begin extracting all that potential, there is no purer form of pride than your child ploughing through all the struggles of stereotypes, labels and categories that the children get funnelled into and finally begin to realize their potential! My J-man has been lucky enough to find two teachers in a row that have this understanding and he is doing extremely well and I am so proud of him.

Kudos A-man...we know how hard you have worked and your Mom always knew it was there...now you do too!

Anonymous said...

big high 5's to ALL of you! To the A-man for not giving in to the stereotypes and giving up...for BELIEVING in himself...and mostly to you and the hubby for always standing by him...believing in him...fighting for him and nurturing him...giving him the tools so that his self esteem COULD flourish...I KNEW all along that you could rise to the challenge.

Unknown said...

I am so proud!!!!! of all of you!