Thursday, April 10, 2008

Should I be happy… or sad?

Last night after dinner, I had S bring the existing laundry downstairs. I asked both of the boys to be sure the table was cleared, and to ensure they both got right to work on their homework.

While I was in the laundry room, I could hear the boys talking about their days to each other. Every now and then there was laughter, then suddenly, silence. I went upstairs to see what they were getting in to, and was a bit surprised by what they were doing.

S was sitting in the dining room, working on his reading homework, and the A-man was sitting at the computer typing up his English report. The table was cleared – although not wiped – and the dishwasher was running.

Neither of them needed extra reminders or ‘help’ in getting going – they both just…. DID it. Is this really happening? I mean, I know that I have been saying for the past couple of months that the A-man has really matured, but I don’t know if I’m really ready for both of them to be THIS mature.

Well, let me correct that – I think I am ready; I’m just so surprised by it. By the almost suddenness of it.
After nearly 10 years of wanting to get to this stage, I’m a little bit hesitant to believe that it may actually be here. Will I actually be able to spend more time in the gardens this year, without having to ensure they are doing what needs to be done, and not fighting? Will homework no longer be a chore that I have to undertake to ensure they get it?
Oh, I know there will be times we revert back to the old days, but it is possible that these days are going to lessen?
I remember being a teenager, and how those nasty, weird hormones can make things just like a roller-coaster ride. The A-man was having a bit bout of the blues on the weekend. He was just up and down in the blink of an eye – it was almost like having two of him in the house.

Actually, that reminds me of the ‘fight’ he and I had on Sunday. The end result was that he lost all television and video-game privileges for the week; up to and including this coming weekend. You know what? He hasn’t tried – not once – to sneak down and watch television at all since. Not even when I haven’t been home. He knows that he was out of line, and he has accepted his punishment without any back talk.
I did give him an ‘out’ – if he cleans up his room, he can get the television time back. I think he has decided to wait out the week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya. Bitter sweet it is this maturity thing but no matter they will always need their mum no matter what age,, it just becomes a different need and more "equal". Nice that they are starting to get along with each other as people...maybe the bit of distance they have now at different schools is givng them a new appreciation for the time they spend together, also "new" things to be able to converse about.