Tuesday, April 22, 2008

100 things about me

Today, in honour of my darling Bear’s birthday (which is tomorrow), I am going to ‘steal’ one of her AWESOME ideas. She posted on her blog a really interesting post. (This is the idea I am stealing.) I knew most of the things about her – how could I not? - she and I have been friends for over 25 years! Even though I knew most of her 100, there were still a few things that I didn’t know.
For my close friends, I am sure there will be nothing on here that is a surprise, but for casual readers, maybe you will learn more about me!

1. I love my husband more today than I did 20 years ago!
2. My children are my reasons for doing (almost) all that I do.
3. I like my alone time.
4. I have never lived alone.
5. Sometimes the quiet unnerves me.
6. Gardening soothes me.
7. I have learned more about autoimmune disorders than I ever wanted to.
8. Same for ADHD.
9. And Tourette syndrome.
10. And learning disorders.
11. I will advocate for my children as long as I need to.
12. I will teach my children to self-advocate.
13. Our family dog drives me crazy, but he is still cute.
14. Spending time at the cottage allows me to totally relax.
15. I don’t relax easily.
16. My close friends realize I am quite insecure.
17. I feel I am shy, even though most people would disagree.
18. I have only one sibling – a brother.
19. I always wanted a sister.
20. I prefer to drive standard vehicles.
21. It annoys me when men are surprised I know how to drive a ‘stick-shift’.
22. I am not a feminist, but I believe a woman can do whatever she wishes.
23. I am raising my sons to believe the same thing.
24. I hate a cluttered home.
25. My house is FAR TOO messy and cluttered.
26. My secret fear is that my cleaning lady will ‘fire’ me.
27. My favourite summer outfit is a sundress and sandals.
28. I want to wind surf more this summer.
29. I am going to try water skiing again this year.
30. I have never taken my own fish off the hook.
31. I like meat too much to ever be a vegetarian.
32. I admire people with the strength to follow their convictions.
33. I cannot stand being cold.
34. I spend too much time on Facebook.
35. I want my boss to give me a raise without having to ask for it.
36. I went to school to be an accountant.
37. I am not working in the field I trained for.
38. I believe everyone should volunteer for at least one not-for-profit organization.
39. I have been on many committees.
40. I was a stay at home mom for 4 years, and loved it.
41. I feel that you need to enjoy your job – or you shouldn’t be doing it.
42. I am on a ‘new, healthy-eating’ regime.
43. I have always thought I was fat – even when I wasn’t.
44. My parents just celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary.
45. I have only lived in 4 towns/cities – all of them are in Ontario.
46. I have never been to Western Canada.
47. I have been to Mexico.
48. And Cuba.
49. And the Dominican Republic.
50. I have never been to Europe.
51. I would really like to travel all over Europe and Asia.
52. I don’t think my husband would enjoy that.
53. I am turning 40 this year.
54. I type almost 90 wpm.
55. Sometimes I use my fingers to do math.
56. I am very proud of my brother.
57. I hate what my brother has to do for a living.
58. I have 3 nieces and 2 nephews.
59. All of them live too far away.
60. I got my first tattoo the year I turned 35.
61. I added to this tattoo a short time later.
62. I would like to get another one.
63. I have pierced ears.
64. I like wine – red or white, doesn’t matter.
65. My favourite drink is a martini – dry, with extra olives.
66. I am not artistic – at all.
67. I enjoy doing craft-type things – when I have time.
68. I love to read.
69. I submerge myself in a new subject when necessary.
70. I love to use the verb “to google.”
71. My son’s love my cookie pizza, and beg me to make it for school functions.
72. I often worry that the school board personnel don’t like me.
73. My favourite flower is always changing – depending on the one I am looking at.
74. I never wear musk perfumes.
75. I love getting dressed up.
76. I have a handbag fetish.
77. My son’s tell me I have too many shoes.
78. I would wear a different hat everyday, if I could.
79. Fancy umbrellas always catch my eye.
80. I love the smell of fresh laundry off the line.
81. I’m not as ‘green’ as I should be, and aspire to be.
82. I drive a Honda Civic.
83. I want my next car to be a hybrid.
84. I love jewellry.
85. I used household chores as an excuse to my friends to get out of things I wasn’t comfortable with.
86. I have seen (and been in) the Atlantic Ocean.
87. I have seen (and been in) the Pacific Ocean.
88. I’ve flown over the Grand Canyon.
89. I am still bitter with Menu Foods for the death of my cat.
90. I loved being pregnant.
91. I often feel like a hamster on a wheel.
92. People tell me I am organized.
93. I feel I am anal.
94. I am left-handed.
95. I can put my fist in my mouth.
96. I have a very loud, boisterous laugh.
97. I love hearing a child’s belly laugh.
98. Some Bell Canada commercials have made me cry.
99. I am very sentimental.
100.I can never have enough scented candles.

Happy Birthday, Bear. I am thinking of you, missing you and loving you!
Thank you for the great idea.

1 comment:

L. Espenmiller said...

This is a beautiful post. For some reason the fact that you notice fancy umbrellas is my favorite - it feels like a line of poetry. I may have to "steal" this idea from you for my blog. ;-) I appreciate how candid you were in writing this list. peace, Lisa