Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A very interesting evening...

On my drive home from work yesterday, I encountered a bit of flooding on the road. I have never seen flooding on this road in any of the years I can remember. There was one spot where the ditches were actually flowing OVER the ends of driveways rather than under.
I ended up being re-routed a couple of times.

I was about half way home when I realized my cell phone wasn't on. When I turned it on, I had two messages - one left at 5:15, and one at 5:21 - one from S's EA, and one from the secretary. Turned out the two streets that are routes to the school were flooded, and S was stranded at the school because his van couldn't get through! The water was flowing so deeply, and so swiftly, that cars were not able to pass. The fire department let the busses go through around 5pm, but 'regular' vehicles could not pass through the flow of water.

Around 7pm I was called and advised that vehicles were being permitted through, but it was slow going and I would need to be careful. I borrowed the R-man's vehicle because it is much bigger than mine. When I got to the area, it was a very organized chaos. An officer was stopping each vehicle as it arrived, and depending on where they were going, either cautioned on how to go through the flooded area, or advised to turn around. When it was mine turn, I was told that both sides of the street were washed away, so to be sure to drive down the centre.

I am SO glad I had the trail blazer! There is no way my wee little Civic would have made it through that water - twice. I could actually feel the current pushing against the vehicle, and the water was up to the fire fighter's knees! I was quite frightened, I will admit. There is no way I would have attempted it if there hadn't been so many around to help, if needed. While I was waiting to come back home, 4 fire fighters actually had to push a car (like mine) through the water. Unbelievable!

Anyway, we got back home safe and sound, and all was right with the world. Until the A-man decided he had the right to use brute force on his brother. My personal favourite line was, "He MADE me hit him by just being so annoying!"
The temper on that boy is starting to come back out. After I soothed S, and got him calmed down, I had quite the talking-too to the A-man. He stormed around, all indignent, but I am pretty sure he realized the errors of his way. About a half an hour after saying good night to both, I heard him sneak in to his brother's room and apologize.

I often wonder - ADHD impulsive, or tourette RAGE? How can one tell for sure, and does it really matter? I don't think the what is as important as the how in dealing with these types of things. It's been a long uphill battle - obviously a hill that I have reached the top yet.

No comments: