Friday, April 25, 2008

Where does the time go?

I know we have all heard the old – “The older you get the fast time goes by.”
Why is that? Is it because we simply take on way more tasks, jobs, hobbies, etc., than one person can possibly ensure in a lifetime?

I just spent the last 2 and half hours out in my garden. I raked out one full bed, and got about half of it weeded. My back is sore, my finger nails are gross…and I feel relaxed. I was hoping to spend the entire day in the garden, but the weatherman is telling me otherwise.

Which leads me to my opening question. Now that I have come to realize that I can’t work in the garden all day, why do I find myself going through the various ‘other’ things I can do.

  • I could label and reorganize my spices
  • I could clean out my fridge
  • I could reorganize the pantry. Or the plastics drawer.
  • I could sort out the front hall closet.
  • Or clean one of the boys rooms.
  • I could either finish filing, start a couple, or totally finish one of the multitude of income tax forms I have to complete. That’s on a deadline, too. Next week.

See, all of these things are things I ‘need’ to do. I have to wash the dishes from last night’s dinner. I really need to clean up the laundry room, and the pool-table room. There are just so many things that need to be done – and not enough time (or energy) to do them.

I think that is why time goes so fast – lots to do, and not enough time to do it in. What do you think?

No comments: