Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Phone call

I got a surprise phone call yesterday. It was nearing the end of the school day, and the phone rang at the office – up comes the school’s telephone number. Phone calls at the end of the day are never good.

It was S’s EA. My heart dropped. She was just calling to let me know how WELL my little S has been doing at school for the past month! She told me that they had a Grade 12 student in the classroom for quite a while, and he and S just really hit it off. (I remember this boy from when he went to the school – he was always a great kid.)
Anyway, the EA was calling to ask permission to take S and this high school student out for pizza next Thursday – the day before the boy’s co-op term is finished. She told me that the entire class was having a party on the Friday, but since this young man and S had become fast friends, she thought it would be nice to give them a special treat. Isn’t that nice?
Of course I gave my permission for S to be late in coming back to school on Thursday afternoon, and she asked me to keep it under wraps, because she wants it to be a surprise for S. Again, I am in shock. I am very grateful that she is doing this very kind gesture, but given some past concerns, it does surprise me. (I need to learn how to let things go…the doctor says S has a hard time letting go of past hurts… HA!)
S is really going to miss this high school student, so I am going to encourage him to add him as a friend on his Facebook account – that way he can keep in touch with him, and keep him up to date on how things are going for him. I’m hoping the boy will let S do this. S also wants to give a “Going Away” gift to the boy – what does one give to an 18 year old high school student?

Things have been going quite well in the household. I've been doing a bit of work for the ADHD association, and the boys certainly have given me a lot of experience. I was returning phone calls from the association's system, and I was able to help the lady out quite a bit, just based on my own personal experiences! She even commented that I seem to have coped well, and I laughed and told her that 5 years ago, I would not have been able to agree.

It's true, too - I love who the boys have become, even if I didn't really care for the way they got there. Maybe that is why I appreciate them so much more? Maybe.

Hubby and I were able to get a large number of onion bags for the boys to start bagging their fire-wood. I think they were planning on starting to bag it tonight. Then they will have to make up some signs for the highway, and then directional signs to our house from there. Developing a business sense, perhaps??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

suggestions for S' new found friend...movie passes..depending how much you want to spend perhaps a voucher for a meal out somewhere...gift cards for dvd rental...I think something along those lines would be appreciated.