Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Interesting

On Saturday, both boys were acting a little more crazy that what we have been experiencing for the last few years. I found myself giving reminder after reminder, and the A-man was the biggest offender. He was doing things to intentionally irritate his brother. After about 9 hours of it, Hubby lost his temper. Hubby doesn't often loose his temper - takes a LOT to make that happen. As a result, all electronics (computer, TV, video games, etc.) were banned for Sunday.

As I was going to bed (for the final time) on Saturday, the A-man apologized for acting so silly, and then told me that he had not taken his medication that day. I told him that I accepted his apology, but I also told him that medicated or not, he needs to realize when he is being annoying, or silly, or rude, and HE has the power to cease. I told him that the medication is meant to be an item of assistance - to help with concentration - not to be 'blamed' or 'praised' for good or bad behaviour. He knows how he should be acting, and he was not behaving as an almost 15 year old should.

Anyway, Sunday was very nice here, I must admit. There were chess games, and monopoly. There was a romp out in the snow, and there was helping me with cleaning up the house! Everyone was just so much nicer to each other, and I don't think either of them missed the electronics. Around dinner time - as Hubby and I were visiting with my Dad - the boys were allowed to watch TV because you could tell they weren't enjoying the adult conversation. At supper time, I pointed out how much more civilized our household seemed, and all agreed. We are now going to make sure to have pre-determined "non-electronic" time on a regular basis.

Last night, after dinner, I went to a horticultural society meeting. I haven't been to one in well over a year, since the meeting nights always conflicted with S's karate nights. But, since he isn't in karate anymore, that option is now open to me again. Last nights topic - plants for shade, and drought resistance. The speaker wasn't all that good, but it sure was nice to be able to just sit around and talk about plants.

When I got home, both boys had finished all of their homework, and S was heading off to bed. The A-man and I hung out for a bit, then it was off to bed for us. Hubby was in bed when I got home, but I think he had just gone there. He came home from work today - sick again. This is not like him.

On the school front for S: got an email from the SERT yesterday telling me that I would be getting a term-three revised IEP, and she also wanted to know how S liked his training session and the new programs that are on the laptop. I told her how this past weekend was the first time I have ever seen S happy about doing his homework. The stress level seemed to be gone - simply because he doesn't have to struggle with reading AND comprehending what he is reading. She asked me what my thoughts were on him having a novel study assignment, and I told her that I want to see him doing GRADE LEVEL work, and I only want accommodations as needed. I guess we are on the same page, because she seemed happy with my response.

S is a bright boy. He has an average, to above average IQ. He simply does not learn in the conventional way, and now that he finally has all of the devices in place to enable him to learn, I think he SHOULD be doing the work the rest of the class is doing. We shall see how Term 3 goes. He seems so much happier now, and he is much better about going to school. Have we crossed that bridge? I hope so.

No comments: