Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Flu Season

It would appear the flu bug has his this household in a big way. Hubby is still sick, and home again today. Last night, the R-man came home from work, and said he'd been sick for the better part of the day, and when I looked out this morning, his truck was still here - meaning he is still in bed. S came upstairs last night shortly after 8, told me he didn't feel well, and he went to bed and went right to sleep.

At first I thought he was trying to get out of doing his homework - I was on the phone when he came upstairs - but when I went in to check on him a short while later, he was quite pale, and I could tell that he was really not feeling well. Poor guy. He does seem to be better this morning however - and I am still making him finish the homework. (He is resisting a wee bit...)

Now, on to the subject of homework. On Monday night, I had asked S about his homework, and he said he had History homework due for Wednesday. Yesterday morning, I get a phone call at work from the teacher. It seems S hadn't completed his homework, and she was concerned that maybe he either didn't understand it, or had some issues with the computer program. I assured her that he is not having a problem with the computer, and I also apologized for not looking at the agenda the previous night, and for taking S's word on what was due, and when. And then he got sick last night. I'm wondering if he is having some difficulty around the whole History issue.

~later~

I've been helping S with his History homework for the past little while. I don't think it was that he was having a problem with the actual work, it was more of not quite sure how to approach the task at hand. Once I made my suggestion, and he got started on it, he seemed to be much more willing to complete the task, but then we ran out of time. I am going to call the teacher today to discuss this further. I feel bad that he didn't do his homework when I told her that I would make sure he did, but let's face it - he was sick. He did his Math, he did what he could on his History. I need to stop beating myself up.

By 9:30 last night, it was just the A-man and I. We actually sat around and discussed things. Many subjects, actually. He is really growing up to be a very interesting - and insightful - young man. He showed me an essay he had prepared for his Religion class, and I was amazed to see that he had actually paraphrased me in a section of the essay. When I commented on that, he smiled, and said, "See, I do listen to you sometimes." (brat)

Actually, his essay was probably a very insightful piece for the teacher, too. I am very interested to find what he thinks about my little man. Here's part of what he wrote:
We were at the top of the food chain a year ago, and now we are at the bottom
here. Another reason is because most of the teenagers today only care about
what other people think, so we don't want to appear like idiots to other
people. We don't even care about what we think; it all depends on if or if
not others like us. I am not like those people; I don't care about what
others think and I am proud of it! I even wore a dress and bra on
Halloween..... and I don't care about what other thought about that.
The teacher made some very positive comments on the essay, which was actually the response to 4 questions. The A-man got 4 out of 4 (meaning he answered all the questions within the essay) but I think the teacher may have learned a bit more about each of his students through this particular assignment. Anyway, I think he is quite an incredible guy, and I am so happy to see him growing and maturing as he has.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

just a couple of thoughts..A-man is really maturing isn't he? Such a good deal of self sesteem he has from someone who had such a miserable time thru his elementary school experience..pat yourself on the back Mom cause that came from somewhere, perhaps a nurturing home life?
As for the r-man he called and was going to come 'home' this morning (guess he still needs his mommy when he's sick :) )...Mum must've broke his heart though cause I told him not to bring his sickness into this house as the rest of us quite literally can not afford to get ill as NONE of us will get paid for time off. Such a meany I am, putting $'s ahead of her first born.

Jori said...

Yeah, we have the illness in our house already, might as well keep it there. Poor R-man with a mean-spirited Mommy. I will have to cuddle him tonight to make him feel better. ;o)