Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Family meeting

On Sunday, I noticed that the A-man suddenly came upstairs and started to work on some homework. Actually, he did that a few times through out the day. Since I was absorbed in my painting efforts, I didn't really think too much about it.
Probably around supper time, I realized that he was working on a Geography project that was due on Monday. A geography project that he had been assigned on November 23. Maybe a little bit of a "Johnny Come Lately" effort, I suspect. But, he did it.
Just as hubby and I were putting up the final trim, etc., I could hear the A-man getting a little frustrated with what he was working on. He needed our atlas, and was very upset when I told him that we didn't have one. I told him to look it up online, when I was informed - quite loudly - that he had been doing that for half an hour, and that was not available on the Internet. (Ha...yeah, right!)
So, I came upstairs, went to google, typed in "atlas, ontario" and low and behold, tons of usable, printable pages!! Quite sheepishly, he thanked me, gave me a hug, then asked me how the trimming was going. Anyway, he got it finished, and printed before bedtime. Since yesterday was a snow day, I encouraged him to use that time to review the project, but I can pretty much guarantee that didn't happen.

Last night we held a family meeting. I decided it was necessary when hubby lost his temper about the state of the boy's TV room. Hubby does not lose his temper, but when he does, it takes a lot to get him to that point. He was livid. I called the meeting, and I could tell the boys were hoping it would end quickly, but we worked very hard on making sure the solutions to the problems were things that were workable for all of us. Hubby explained that he and I could dictate how things were done, but if the boys didn't agree, they simply wouldn't follow the rules. I think they understood by the time it was all done, and I am hoping we have a working solution. Time will tell, I guess.

Two final things - we ordered new front windows last night. Pricey things, windows. But, the ones we have in the living room and dining room are the original wooden windows, and I have really been noticing the cold this year. If that much cold is coming in, how much heat (and money) is going out? They should be installed by the beginning of February.
Secondly - Cuz posted a comment to yesterday's blog. Darling Cuz - you can't use words like that to describe the snow. This is a family blog! tee hee... But, seriously - I know you guys got a lot of snow, and the big problem is room for it all. When I got to work yesterday, the snow that hadn't been cleared from the driveway came up to my mid-thigh. Yes, truly! And it continued to snow all morning yesterday. Unreal. And here is the kicker - they are calling for above freezing temperatures tomorrow, and RAIN! Crazy, crazy weather.

No comments: