Thursday, December 27, 2007

"Down" Day

Whew. It has been a few hectic days, to say the least. I am happy to say that right now, I am quite enjoying the sound of quiet as I sit here at the computer and sip my second cup of herbal tea. Oh, I still have TONS to do to clean up from yesterday's festivities, but today, there is no rush. Today, I can putter, and take my time. Today, I update my blog, and drink tea!

Okay, let's do a recap of events over the last little while. Saturday night we went to a fund-raising dance for the local fire-hall. We went with 5 other couples, and it was a nice night out. I was beat, though, and begged hubby to take me home around 10:30. (I had started to ask an hour before that... lol)
Sunday night was the night we had the A-man's Godmother and her husband over for a raclette. It was a really fun night. Neither had ever done raclette before, and all 6 of us were stuffed by the time we had finished. We never even got to grilling the pineapple for dessert!
Monday brought the day we had Christmas with hubby's family. It was SO nice to see my SIL that has moved over 'the big pond' to London, England. I didn't realize how much I had missed her until I saw her again. Hubby's brother and wife, and their two sons (aged 6 & 3) were there too. Our nephews are such a fun age for Christmas, however I think the youngest one was a little overwhelmed by the gifts he was expected to open, then not get to play with because he 'had' to open another one. I finally suggested to my brother-in-law that we just 'take a break' from opening so that the kids had the chance to PLAY with what they received. I think he was glad for that suggestion, and after a little while, we resumed the gift exchange.
After our family Christmas, we went to friend's for our annual Christmas Eve toast. We never stay long - maybe an hour - but it's nice to have that time with just our family and theirs. They have 4 girls - all play ice hockey, and therefore have crazy schedules - and we rarely get to see all 6 of them together now. Christmas Eve is something we all look forward to. This year was no exception.
Christmas morning was great. The A-man and S were thrilled with the Wii they found under the tree. S was SO excited on Christmas Eve - he made sure he left out the cookies and milk, and he swore he heard the jingle of bells in the middle of the night! My parents arrived early afternoon, and then hubby's parents and sister came for dinner. My aunt and uncle and their daughter and her family came over after dinner.
Yesterday was my Dad's annual family gathering. This year hubby and I were the hosts. My dad is the oldest of 9, and all but 2 made it this year. A few had a 4 hour drive, so it was nice they made it, too. In total, we had 28 for dinner. Not as big as other years, but this year we had some family members that haven't ever made it before. I wish my grandparents had been able to come, but I wasn't surprised they didn't.
Most of the party was held in the basement, so that allowed me to set up a table in the kitchen with the 'main course and dessert' food and the dining room was salads and 'starters' - all in a buffet style. I wanted to do a sit-down dinner, but decided to just keep it casual this year.
This morning over breakfast, hubby commented that this is the first year in a long time that I haven't been ill on Boxing Day. I guess I usually get myself all worked up over things, and this year I have been calm. The old lupus must really be in remission!
Now we are doing the general clean up from the gathering yesterday. Tonight we are going to Jazzy's house for dinner - all in a 'maple' theme, apparently. Salmon in a maple sauce, brie with a maple topping...that sort of thing. It will be nice to just be 'the guest' and not have to do the prepping or clean up afterward!
Then, tomorrow, we are cottage bound to see my brother and his family! Christmas lasts a week in my world!

No comments: