Tuesday, September 16, 2008

This, that & the other...

Some day, maybe, (if I am lucky) my son's will realize that they will not win the battle of the wills when it comes to doing their homework.

It's not like EITHER of them even had much homework tonight, but you would have thought they were being sent to the electric chair by the carrying-on when I told them it had to be done.

As it is, the A-man missed school yesterday because he was ill, so I am still a little unsure as to how it is that he didn't have to do catch up work. Regardless, he did comment to me that he had been given a History assignment today, but didn't tell me when it was do. Gosh darn it all - I asked during dinner, and then made him get working on it right afterwards.
Yes, I know - I am so mean.

To make matters worse, S had math homework and I made HIM work on it right after supper too! Yes, I really did.

Total time spent fighting about when and where homework would be done - about 15 minutes. Total time spent actually doing said homework - about 15 for the A-man and maybe 25 for S because he needed a bit more explanation.
Had they just gone about the task and done what they needed, all of us would have been able to spend more time doing what we WANTED to do! (Maybe they will start to get that?? Maybe, hopefully?!?!?!!)

At least it is done now.
~~
On the work front, new assistant started in the office today. She is very young, and VERY quiet. I'm not sure how she is going to handle our busy, fast-paced, not-quiet-for-long office. Boss figures she will come out of her shell once she gets more used both us and the general hum of the office. He met her at her last job and he told me she was quite a bit more lively than what I saw today.
She is a nice enough girl - seems very smart - but she just sort of sits and listens and then calmly goes about the task presented to her. She doesn't ask many questions, but I am thinking it is simply because she is a bit overwhelmed by everything we had told her both during the interview process, and again as today went on.

I am not complaining though - one task that I have been letting sit on the back-burner since June got completed today in her first three hours! Now I just have to send the package off to the client and I don't have to worry about THAT for another 9.5 months. See, a lot of what we will need her to do isn't actually difficult - it's more of the tedious, monotonous-type jobs that are, well, sort of boring-but-still-really-need- to-be-done type jobs that we need her to do for us.

  • reorganizing files
  • putting photo disks in order by client, in order by photo
  • file payables
  • placing newspaper ads
  • checking that newspapers bill correctly
Not the most glamour-filled job I know, but once we get a feel for how she works, etc., I am sure we will be able to mold the position around her. (Such a great thing about working for a small but busy office - jobs that you both like and are good at suddenly become your responsibility!)

Yesterday the sales guy went home before lunch time because he wasn't feeling right. He told me that he just needed to get rid of the heart-burn and he was sure he would be okay. Yesterday afternoon he called me to let me know that he won't be in for a while - turns out it was a heart condition of some sort, and he was being transferred to a different hospital! Boss called him last night and found out he was going to have an angioplasty today and would be out of commission for the next two weeks!

Just goes to show you - ya just never know.

On that note, I am off to do my Wii Fit Yoga and strength-training workout!

No comments: