Monday, September 22, 2008

Challenges, and growing up...

I sent an email to the SERT asking who is responsible for making sure S gets textbook information scanned in to his laptop. The answer surprised me. S is responsible for this very important step! Not his teacher, not his EA, not even the SERT - but the student!
Yes, the student with the attention skills similar to that of a goldfish has to remember to take his laptop to a special room, hook it up to the scanner, then remember which pages he is required to get on to the system.

I realize this is not a difficult task, but was actually quite surprised that this had never been explained to me before. When I asked S about it over the weekend, he told me that he knew how to do it, but that the scanner hasn't been working. (ARGHGGHGH!!)

I am going to put a call in to the school's SERT today just to clarify a few things - such as when he is supposed to be doing this scanning, etc. If I have to, I will take my lunch breaks to come in and make sure he gets what he needs scanned!
Nuts, nuts, nuts.
----
Now, away from the school issues for a little while. My baby is growing up.

The A-man will be going on his first date tomorrow night.
He has liked this girl since he was in Grade 8, but never said anything to her about it. In Grade 9, he eventually got up the nerve to tell her that he liked her, and she told him that she knew that. Apparently she wasn't allowed to date until she was 18, so the A-man didn't go any further.
Last week, the A-man told me he was going to ask this girl out on a date - her parents have relaxed the 18-dating-age rule. He had wanted to go out on the weekend, but we were going to be away, so I suggested going to the movie on Tuesday since it's the cheaper night, and they could just stay in town after school and have dinner first.
The A-man seemed to think that wasn't a bad idea, but then I never heard another word about it!

As we were coming home from the cottage yesterday, and I'm mentally planning my week's schedule, I suddenly remembered the conversation and asked if he was going to the movies this Tuesday.
He is. Apparently she wants to have a few others come to, but knowing this girl, I can understand why - she is very shy. (Very sweet, but very shy.)

He is just so cute about it all. I had a brief chance to talk to him about it this morning before S joined us for breakfast, but I know he wants this to be quiet for a while as S will tease him non-stop once he hears about it. I am going to talk to him more about it tonight.

My baby - going on a date! I'm not sure if I am thrilled for him, or nauseous about the thought!!

No comments: