Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Who's that girl?

Today I felt like I was almost WATCHING my life - similar to watching television - and was wondering, "Who IS that person?" It was almost surreal, to tell the truth. Most days just run in to each other, but with the change in location today, it just seemed to affect my entire perception or something.

I had to attend a trade show today - but it was a corporate show, not a consumer one. (I have only ever worked consumer shows for our clients before.) My day started with my having to do a commute to the big city for the show. Downtown, even.
The actual drive to the city took me an hour and a half, which wasn't too bad, I guess. I was so glad that I was able to start the drive after morning rush hour. As I was heading in to the big smoke, I was thinking, "You know, this wouldn't be too bad. I could do this if I had to.... The money would be much better..." that sort of thing. I have only ever actually driven to the downtown core by myself one other time, but I still managed to do it without even having to really think about where I needed to go - I just knew where the exits were, where the underground parking was, how to get to the convention centre, everything!

I arrived about half an hour before the show began, which then gave me a bit of chance to look around at some of the other exhibitors, to get a 'feel' for the show, that sort of thing. Again, it was very different from the typical show I have ever visited, co-ordinated, or worked at. This was a meeting/travel planner show. Much different, indeed.
Boss reviewed a few key things I would need to know for this type of show, and before long, I was a pro. Corporate shows are much slower... and feel so much longer.

At 5, when the show was done for the day, I was informed that our group had been invited to a reception being hosted by the Barbados Tourism people. I've always dealt with one particular gentleman with this country, and was thrilled that he had extended the invitation to our group.
While we were snacking on canapes and chatting with others at the reception, I was introduced to the new Consulate General for Barbados. He actually stayed with our small group for quite a long time - we had a lovely chat.
Here is where things really started to feel surreal to me. I'm standing there, chatting away with the flipping Consulate General for Barbados, and not one single person in that room was yelling at me, "Impostor!! Get her out of here!" In fact, I was introduced to a number of people attending the reception, and treated like I was supposed to be there!

When the reception was over, we headed off to a dinner meeting. Here is where it got funny again... We were discussing the magazine cover concepts for the Fall issue, and everyone was actually taking my thoughts into consideration. As I was speaking, and giving my opinions on the various mock-ups of the magazine, I looked up, and realized I completely had the floor, and my ideas/suggestions were being carefully considered. Mine! (Wow.)

I'm still not used to this...

After dinner, and a few other subjects were touched upon, I realized I had better start getting out of the city before the major league baseball game let out. Again, I was completely comfortable with knowing where I needed to go, which directions I had to take, everything. There was some construction that slowed my progress a bit, but about 2 hours after heading out of the city, I was home again. I don't think living with a commute would be something I would want to do very often.
I could do it on occasion, but it certainly wouldn't be something I could do daily.

I got home to a majorly grumpy husband. I figured it had something to do with work, but apparently we need another load of sand. From the way he was grouching at me, obviously it's MY fault the full tandem load (ie. 13 tonnes) I had ordered wasn't enough for the swimming pool area. I was glad he was heading off to bed when I got home. I will discuss the grouchy attitude with him tomorrow night.

Hey - when did I suddenly become a grown up? When did I start having a real job, that requires cocktail receptions and dinner meetings? Do you think they will figure out I'm an impostor??

No comments: