Wednesday, August 6, 2008

What a day!

I just turned around, and BOOM!, my day at work was over. I'm still reeling from it, I will admit. Sometimes is just doesn't seem worth it to take holidays, does it?
On the upside, we have offered the assistant's position to a young man. He is going to join Boss and I for lunch tomorrow and we are going to work out the logistics of his starting time frame. Poor guy is probably going to have to put together his own work station when he begins; no one else has time to do that right now - the magazine will be going to print in less than a month, and Boss is going to be very tied up with that.
The new section of the website/newsletter will be launched in two weeks, and that has me all wrapped up. Throw in the stuff I have off in the graphic's department either in starting or completing stages, and well, quite frankly it is amazing we have managed this long without another person!
Oh well, we might as well work him to realize that it is an 'all encompassing job!'

Last night I took the boys to the movies. We wanted to go and see Momma Mia, but it was all sold out by the time we arrived, so we went to see Hancock instead. It was okay. Not one I would rave about to all of my friends, but one that boys aged 13 and 15 would leave the theatre saying, "That was really good, wasn't it Mom?" It was just nice to have a night out with the boys.
On the way home, we came up with a plan of attack for starting to clean up the clutter in their bedrooms. Both boys have a ton of toys in their rooms, in their TV room, AND the crawlspace. Neither of them even PLAY with toys anymore, but the minute I suggest getting rid of things, the little pack rats in my kids comes out, and there is some sort of sentimental reason to keep each and every item I touch. (I can't really say too much about that - I am a true pack rat, too.)
Last night we all agreed to incorporate the "Top 10" rule. Each boy is allowed to keep their top 10 items from each section of toys. If they have 10 and find something else they really want to keep, they have to eliminate from the 'keep' pile. This will allow them to keep a total of about 40 items - which will be only a small dent in the number of items we have, I'm sure.

Today, both boys tackled the toys in their bedrooms. I have not yet gone through what they put in each pile, but that is okay. The main thing is to get the bins out to the garage, and then I can go through them when I am setting them out for the yard sale. (If I am participating in one this weekend, that is.)
My goal for this evening is to get the kitchen back into a state that doesn't cause me heart palpitations, and then I will pull the bins from the crawl space. Technically neither of the boys even have a clue what is in the crawlspace as it has been in there since the R-man moved in, but I did make the rule, so they are each allowed 10 items from each bin. Fair is fair.
If we don't have a yard sale, I may just take all of these items to the re-use-it centre on the weekend. No sense having it clutter up the already cluttered garage, right?

Okay - off to make dinner and then putting on my official "lets get this house clean so I can mange to not have a heart attack every time I walk in to a room" clothes.
Really - it's that bad. How can such an annal, perfectionist-type person have such a messy, cluttered house? I can't stand it!!

No comments: