Monday, August 18, 2008

Backyard changes

I came home from my annual “Girl’s Weekend” at the cottage to a very different looking back yard. Three trees that had been there on Friday morning we gone, as were the stumps and any evidence that they had ever been there! Each of these trees were dead, and I have been bugging Hubby for the better part of two years to get rid of them before one of them fell on the house.
The wooden swing that was incorporated in to one section of my garden had been moved, and a tractor was digging up that section of my garden when I arrived. The stump, roots, etc. from that particular tree was very big and had been giving the guys a bit of grief. I could almost FEEL the satisfaction come from both men when they were finally able to chain that stump and haul it out of there.

A very large circle – about 30 feet in diameter – has been dug out of the lawn, and somewhat graded to a level area. The circle was a bit closer to the garden area than I had originally requested, but I guess the grade of the property was such that a retaining wall would have been necessary, so they made an executive decision. Retaining walls are not exactly in the budget right now.

The only thing I was unhappy to see was where the fallen trees had been moved. The cucumbers, zucchini, and about half of my tomatoes plants are now covered with cut up trees. >:o(
I guess they didn’t realize how close they were getting to the garden? I can hardly even get IN to that one section of the veggie plants now! I am going to see if I can salvage my poor little plants tonight, but I am not holding out much hope. I guess the sacrifice of some veggie plants is a small price to pay for the assistance of a very good friend and his digger/tractor thing.

I asked what the boys had thought about the tractor, and Hubby was telling me that S actually drove it, and did a little bit of digging. During dinner, S was sure to regale me with the great stories of him “taming the beast!” It was nice to see the excitement in his eyes.

I think both boys realize that they won’t likely get to use the pool this season as it won’t be warm enough for them, but I have assured them that if they want to get in, I will let them give it a go. Our friend that was helping with the digging said that they rarely use their pool after Labour Day because the nights get too cool and the pool doesn’t warm up much. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.

No comments: