Thursday, May 29, 2008

Normalacy

Yesterday, when I got home from work, the A-man was VERY quick to tell me that he had something to tell me.
He then proceeded to tell me that earier in the day, he had gone to his Health class, and apparently the entire class waited outside the portable, and the teacher never showed up. He claims that he also went to the gym, looking for his teacher, but no teacher was to be found. He said after waiting “like half an hour” (so, in reality about 5 minutes) he and his friend decided to just go over to my parent’s house until their next class.
Yeah – the school’s automated system had called home, and I guess the A-man took the phone call. My thinking is that he thought that if he told me about it before I heard from the school, he would be in the clear.
I didn’t get angry with him. What would be the point? He said a couple of kids from the class were teasing him today – “Ewww, you skipped…” but there was no further punishment from the teacher or Vice Principal. Apparently it was a substitute teacher that arrived shortly after the A-man headed for the hills.
Do I believe the story? Not bloody likely. Do I think he maybe realized that I would find out when/if he were to skip a class? Yeah, I think he did. Will he skip again? As if that is never going to happen – for sure he will.
He’s NORMAL – that is what normal kids do.

Thank heaven’s my son is NORMAL!

Today, during 4th period, I think, the high school held an “Oscar’s” type of awards ceremony. It was held for all of the kids that have taken any of the Arts program over the past school year. During the awards, the A-man was surprised (and flattered) to discover he had been nominated by his Drama teacher for “Most Improved Junior.” There were three Grade 9 students nominated in the category.
He didn’t win, but he was still quite pleased that his teacher felt he deserved to be nominated.

S had some homework last night – he had to put together a polygon. 20 sides to a polygon… he cut the piece out, and he did give it his best attempt, but fine motor skills are not exactly S’s forté.
He ‘forgot’ his finished piece when he left this morning, but assured me that he was given time in class, and he choose to do a less complicated shape in class today.
I am just amazed at how CALM he is this year. His anxiety levels have completely lessened, and he doesn’t get himself in to knots about the smallest things anymore.
Last year, if had forgotten that piece, I would have been getting a panic phone call from school telling me that I simply HAD to go and get that and bring it to school for him. This year, he just takes so much more in stride. He has come such a long way in such a short period of time.

What a relief!

No comments: