Friday, May 9, 2008

Last night

I had a bridal shower to attend last evening. Oh what joy and fun those events can be...
When I got home from work, I popped a chicken dish in to the oven for 'the boys' and started the task of wrapping the gift. (Yes, I know I should have had it done a few days ago when I bought it rather than waiting until the last minute...)

As I was trying to wrap the gift - which was giving me major grief - the A-man came in to the kitchen and was acting like a total goof. When I mentioned that he was acting a tad silly, he got all defensive, and starting yelling at me. I was sitting there wondering what the heck had just happened. Of course, as he yelled, I then got angry, and heated...it didn't go well for a few minutes. Eventually I told him to go to his room until he could talk in a civilized manner to me.
After a while, he returned to the kitchen, and within a matter of moments, started acting silly. I told him that I was having enough grief from the gift I was trying to wrap, I didn't need more from him. He then went downstairs and started to torment the bejeeses out of his brother.

Then it hit me. "Hey, buddy, come up here, would you." He lumbers up the stairs, and I said to him, "Did you take your medication today?" Head goes down - "Umm... no, I forgot." (!!??)

I must say, for anyone to criticize about a parent that puts their ADHD child on medication, you must not go through the daily nonsense that I lived for more than 10 years. The difference in both of my children is like night and day. The difference I experience with my children is one from a beligerent, annoying, angry teen to a fun, intelligent, insightful young adult with interesting comments about the world around him. A drugged up, dopey zombie? Not a chance. A child that I actually enjoy spending time with? Yeah, I take the medication, thank you very much.

No comments: