Wednesday, May 21, 2008

How can we be 40?

Today is my friend's ("Sam") birthday. Today she is 40. This year, 2008, is the year we all turn 40. (Now, when I refer to 'we' here, I am talking about a certain group of friends of mine. I know others are already 40, and others still have years to go...)

On Saturday, to celebrate Sam's birthday, the 4 of us - the group of 4 that are turning 40 - will be having some pictures done. We haven't had any photos taken since Sam's wedding 10 years ago, and it is time. The one that I have hanging on a wall was taken when I was pregnant with S - which was taken 14 years ago at Christmas, and that is just a snap shot!
These three ladies and I all met for the first time in Grade 9 - which was in the Fall of 1981, I believe. Wow.
We have been through a lot together - boyfriends, college and university, said university parties, engagements, weddings, failed pregnancies, successful pregnancies, job interviews, house hunts... well, you get the idea. We have tried for the past couple of years to make sure that we get together for a dinner at least once a month. None of us live in the same towns or cities, so sometimes it is a bit of a chore to plan the gatherings, but for the most part we have been able to do it.
Cuz has met all of these ladies, and is often confused about the dynamics of our little foursome. If we were to have met later in life - say in to our 20's - would we have become friends? It's hard to say - we have all grown and changed so much since the shy days of being 14, and other than our history, it would be hard to find many similarities with all four of us. Oh, individually, I'm pretty sure we have common interests, but, for whatever reason, it works for us. I know that I could call any one of these ladies, at any time of day or night, and they would be there as soon as they could be. (Well, except when Dar was living in Malaysia and/or Italy...that would have been tough...)

I have always been a big believer in the power, and the pure NECESSITY of girl friends. I am a 'lifer' when it comes to friends. Heck, Bear and I met when she was 12 and I was 13 - still good friends. Lee and I met a few years before that - we have been in and out of touch over the last 20 years, but I still consider her my friend. I remember her children's birthdays... always her birthday.

My husband is my best friend - there is no doubt about that - but ever since we got married, I let him know how vital it was that I continue to spend time with my friends. We were married about 7 years before anyone else was, and I always participated in any/all 'girls' gatherings. Even after having the boys, Hubby realized it was very important to me to maintain those strong ties, and we have always been able to arrange it so that I could participate. He is such a keeper, this husband of mine.

This Fall, the four of us are planning a trip - hopefully somewhere warm - for a long weekend of fun and silliness. It will be just after my birthday - that will mean 2 down, 2 to go... and I know we will laugh until our sides hurt.

Friends...true friends are so important. Never forget to let these people know how much they mean to you! Personally, I am very grateful for the large cirlce of friends that I have. I would be lost without any one of them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jori:

Happy 40th Birthday! Please stop by www.turning40.net and share your experience with others meeting this milestone head on.

Best,

Mark