Thursday, May 22, 2008

New execptionality

I had an IPRC meeting on Tuesday for S. This was a standard, “have it every Spring,” type of meeting, so it wasn’t something that I really had to prepare for.
Given the report from the hospital – and the results of the fMRI – the school wanted to change S’s exceptionality from “Multiple” to “Autism”.

The multiple part of his exceptionality was to encompass his learning disabilities and his anxiety disorder, which can often account for the negative behaviour. The school suggested that we change over to the Autism area of the IPRC, because they felt it would better encompass his newly diagnosis of Aspergers.
I was a little hesitant about signing off on this change, for obvious reasons. This has finally been a good year for him. He has been having a very successful year, and I am positive that this has happened because of all of the accommodations that are in place for him. I did not want to see any of these be taken away from him.

I asked, time and time again, at the meeting for the reassurance that changing his exceptionality would not change the accommodations that are in place. I also wanted to make sure that all of the past IPRC reports would remain in his OSR. He will be going in to his ‘transition’ year next year – and a new school the following year. I do not want to have to start the battle again come Grade 9. I have been assured that all of the records will remain in the file; therefore the high school will have access to all of these files.

I have been stewing about it this for almost a week. (I had even broached the subject at my board meeting last week.) One lady on the board told me that the school is likely pushing for the Autism exceptionality because there is so much more funding available to the school through the Ministry of Education. After talking with everyone at the board meeting, and then at the school meeting, I decided that I would sign off on the new exceptionality. The end result is the same – he needs accommodations, we know why he needs them, we know what has (and has not) worked in the past, and I will continue to ensure all of that continues to happen. WHY he is exceptional doesn’t really matter. I also have copies of all of the information in his OSR, and if something should go missing, it will be amazing how quick another copy will arrive.

Considering the success the A-man has been having in high school, I don’t think the transition will be that difficult. The school has an amazing head of resource, and I am sure it will be good for S, too.

No comments: