Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Garden Play

Last night, when I got home from work, I rushed through dinner preparations so that I would be able to get some time outside. It was beautiful yesterday.

Hubby informed me at dinner that the black flies were really bad, and he didn't think I would be able to be outside for more than 5 minutes. I told him I would take a chance.


While I was outside, my darling boys cleaned up the kitchen. They even started the dishwasher, and washed any of the dishes that couldn't be put in the machine! Neither of them had homework, so they had a pretty easy evening after that.

S had more computer training yesterday afternoon, so he didn't have homework. See, to me that just doesn't seem right. He should still have to do the work that he missed, shouldn't he? Apparently I am old-fashioned in my thinking.


Anyway...outside...in the dirt.... it was lovely. I guess the temperatures had dropped just enough to force the black flies back to where ever they hang out. I was able to get one full garden cleaned right out and weeded. I couldn't believe the size of the peony bush in the garden. I had moved it a few years ago, and although it always grew, it never bloomed. Last year I think it gave me two blooms. I think this year will be a stellar show.

My wee little dutch iris are just blooming their hearts out. I am always a little sad when they give such an awesome show so early in the year...I always feel like I didn't get a chance to really enjoy them. I have two areas that have the dutch iris - the one I can see from my bathroom, and I often find myself running the shower, while I'm still standing at the window looking at the garden!

Last year I put in some type of ivy thing - I had to clean up all around it, and then coax it on to the cone I want it to climb. It had started to spread out across the garden, so it took me a bit of time to gather all the ends and wrap them around the various section of the cone.

My perennial morning glory has spread like wild fire, so I am going to coax a bit of it around 2 of my taller cones as well as up the lattice. Had to pull out some of it that had started to move in amounst the bearded iris and sorrel.

I won't be able to play in my garden tonight - I have a board meeting. My intention, however, is to spend as much time as I can getting the various gardens cleaned up, and weeded. We are away for the upcoming long weekend, but I'm thinking that if I concentrate on at least one garden each night, I will be ready to lay down new wood chips for the pathways by next weekend. It's unreal how much the woodchip paths have 'shrunk' since I originally laid them. I've replenished them once, but they need a good replishment this time around. We will likely get the wood chipper for next weekend, and we will be able to get rid of some of the wood at the same time. (Resuse, recycle...)

Slowly, I will feel like I am getting a grip over the gardens again. The funny thing is - they just always need something done with them. Need lots of attention. Hmm...somewhat like children!

No comments: