Monday, May 5, 2008

Interesting reading & update

I read an interesting article this afternoon. It talks about how the birth order often defines the type of person you may end up becoming. Well, no, that isn't completely true - it's actually about how studies have proven that parents tend to be harder on the first born.

I am the first born in my family - I have one brother, three years younger than me. When I was growing up, I swore that my Mom loved him more than me, and that he got away with WAY more than I ever did. As a teenager, he got caught doing things that I would never have DREAMED of doing - and although he may have gotten in to trouble, in my heart of hearts I know I would have been in way more trouble.

Hubby is the first born in his family. His brother is 16 months younger than him, and his sister is 3 years younger than he is. His brother was always much smaller than Hubby, and as a result was always told "Don't fight with your brother. You are much bigger than him and you would hurt him." With his sister - well, let's face it - she was the baby and a girl to boot...

As I was reading the article, I kept thinking, "No, that is not true. I do not treat my children differently." After I really thought about it, I came to the realization that it is true - I do treat them differently.
I don't LOVE them differently - one more or less than the other - but I realized that I do treat the A-man differently than his younger brother. I think I always have, and I think if you sat and truly thought about it, you would have to admit that you (if a parent) do treat your first born differently.

I guess I will have to work on that?

~~~~~

The rest of S's birthday party went well. The one boy's Mom came to pick him up early - I was supposed to take them home after lunch, but she arrived before dinner. The other boy's Mom had called to see if he could stay later, and that was fine.
Hubby's parents stopped in after church - I was in the veggie garden when they arrived. After their visit, I went back to turning dirt in the garden. Just as I was really getting in to it, my parents came to see the birthday boy. Then it was dinner time.

After dinner I was able to get a few income tax forms filed - thank goodness for the online extention - and then I got a call from my friend. (This is the one that had spent a night on my couch a few months back.) Long story short - I left home around 7:30 and got back home around midnight, but, some big pieces of furniture are now in her new apartment, the exisiting boxes are now unpacked, the fridge and stove are clean and the first coat of painting in her living room is now drying. I think I was more a sounding board than anything else. (I know she was happy that someone was able to help her.)

When I got home from work today, S told me that he had Math homework - which he is now doing - and the A-man is all caught up with any homework he has. Going to be an easy night for me in that department.

The SERT is address the issues I had last week with respect to S's 'project,' but I don't know if it may be a case of 'too little, too late."

1 comment:

L. Espenmiller said...

Hi Jori,
Thanks for the link to this article. I'm the oldest of 4 daughters and I can say in our family this is true. My folks were definitely harder on me and still hold me to a higher standard and expect more from me than from my sisters in some areas of life. I tell my 2 sisters who have kids to go easy on their first born daughters all the time. :-)