Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Long weekend

What is it about having a three-day weekend that just seems to raise expectations, and sometimes lower sensibility?

Here in Canada, “Victoria Day” – in honour of Queen Victoria’s birthday – is the official launch of summer.
Of course, it is only May, and the weather is never predicable in May. Yet, every year, droves of people go camping for the weekend. When I was in my late teens and early 20’s, I, too, participated in this insane right of passage. For a very short period of time.
I very quickly realized that it wasn’t exactly fun to be cold, and soaking wet for three full days. Again – it is only the third week of May! Sometimes we even get snow on that weekend!! Considering we still had snow on the ground just over 6 weeks ago, it always seems crazy to think that suddenly, just because it is the infamous May 2-4 weekend, that the weather will be sunny, warm and beautiful. This year’s long weekend was no exception.
We didn’t go camping this year – as in tents and such – but we did go up to the cottage. The weather wasn’t the most ideal, but at least we had a running furnace, and a dry place to lie our heads. I truly feel terrible for anyone that was braving the elements with nothing but a sleeping bag and thin sheet of plastic as a form of shelter.

This morning, I was saddened to hear about the number of accidents, and fatalities, that occurred over the three days. It is always sad to hear about motor accidents that take a person’s life, but it just seems to be a bigger tragedy when the person is so young. And the death could have been prevented. Again, more than one death occurred in Ontario that could have been prevented if only everyone on the road used his or her head. Sober-like.
One teenager (17 years old) wasn’t killed, but was clocked doing 236 km/h in an 80 km zone! Fortunately for him, no one else was killed either. Why on earth would anyone feel the need to drive at such an excessive speed? Especially someone that is such a very young and inexperienced driver?!
As the mother of a 15-year-old, one that is very excited about getting his license next year, I dread hearing news like that about my son. I promise you here and now – if either of my son’s were ever driving so recklessly, I would never allow them the opportunity to drive one of my vehicles EVER.

I remember being so excited about getting my driver’s license. My mother was a nervous wreck when I was just learning. I hated driving with her. I think it was just a relief for both her and I when I took my driver’s ed classes. That meant I got my practice, and she didn’t have to be freaking out beside me all of the time. Now, as the mother, I am not sure how calm I will be when the A-man is behind the wheel.
I will be dealing with the fact that my baby is starting to drive, but also with the knowledge that my baby – with ADHD – is going to be behind the wheel. I’ve asked other parents of ADHD children about the whole driving thing. Just because they are 16, does that mean we should let them drive? Can having ADHD be a reason to delay the inevitable? I guess I will just have to wait and see if the increase in maturity continues before I make that choice.
I have just under a year. Yikes.

No comments: