Sunday, June 1, 2008

...how does your garden grow?

For a day that was supposed to be rainy and crappy, I must say I was quite pleased with how yesterday turned out!
Hubby and I had an appointment with our nutritionist in the morning, and when I got home from the appointment, I went out to play in the dirt!
My veggie garden is pretty much all planted now. Put in a row each of red leaf lettuce and green leaf lettuce, and 4 plants of head lettuce, a row of swiss chard, a row of 'Purple Haze' carrots, 4 green pepper plants and 4 brussel sprout plants. Also did some radish rows in and around the onion sets - I don't like radishes, but Hubby does, and since they are such a fast growing veggie, I always do them for him.
The centre part of the veggie garden I got all prepped, and then had to consult with hubby - do we want to do potatoes in this area again, or should I got with beans and peas? He decided beans and peas, so I picked up the seeds yesterday afternoon, and will fill that section later today if time permits. (We are having some friends over for a barbeque to celebrate Hubby's birthday, so I may not get time today.)
The third part of the garden is dedicated to tomatoes, cucumbers and zucchini. The plants that take up so much room. I purchased all of the tomato plants this year - just had no time for starting seedlings. I've got two heirloom plants - they produce a mid-sized orange tomato in clusters, and the plant will grow to about 6 feet tall. Thinking I will need to get some heavy-duty cages for those two plants. Then planted 4 beef steak tomato plants, 4 burpee tomatoes - which are a fleshier, firmer tomato - and 4 tiny tim plants, just because I love have wee little tomatoes in my salads. Got one cucumber plant, and one zucchini plant, and the on impulse I purchased a red pepper plant and figure I will put it in by the rhubarb.

I was really pleased with my veggie garden efforts yesterday. We have had the veggie garden since we moved in to this house in the Spring of '99, but for the last few years, I have never quite gotten the entire thing planted. Last year I planted the onion sets - which are doing great this year - and two types of potatoes, and that was about it. There were a few plants that I put in, but they never really did much of anything mainly because I rarely even watered out there. Now that I actually have a number of things in the ground, I know I will be more vigilent about it. Plus the boys have ceased a lot of their extra-cirricular activies, which then allows me the chance to spend more time on MY things.
S will also have the opportunity to earn "Mom Bucks" by weeding the various rows, too. (Will do another post about "Mom bucks" later this week.)

The A-man filled in his very first application for a job yesterday, so I don't know if I will be able to ask him to help out much with the garden, but I guess there will be days that he is home during the summer, right?

Flowers are doing so well. So many colours and smells...I am hoping to get out there with the camera soon, and then I will post some pictures of the various areas.

No comments: