Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Not a good day

My heart is breaking today for my wee little man.

The teachers and EA at the school have decided they are not comfortable with the risk of taking him on the field trip tomorrow, and if neither Hubby nor I can attend with S, he is not allowed to go. I have a series of interviews set up for tomorrow that I can not simply cancel, and Hubby’s counterpart is away this week and there is not way he would be able to take the day off to join S on the trip either. Had we known a week ago we might have been able to do something about it. Today – not so much.
As I am writing this I have tears coming to my eyes. Again.

In my heart of hearts I can understand why the school has made this decision; truly I can. But that doesn’t make it any easier to accept. S has been looking forward to going mountain biking with the rest of his class so much.
I haven’t talked to him yet, but when I got the phone call from the Principal, I phoned my mother in law and asked her to pick S up from school. The Principal was going to talk to S and explain why he couldn’t go, but I don’t think he would have been in the best frame of mind to be taking the bus home. Best just to let him be with Gramma where he can be sad and upset without anyone else bugging him.
I had also asked the Principal to ensure that S had cleaned out his desk – he won’t be going back to school. There is no point – tomorrow is the field trip, and then Thursday will just remind him of the fun that he missed by not going. Why torture him any further? Poor wee bogger.

I realize that S’s action of late is the reason for not being able to go. However, I just don’t know if he will be able to put the two (ie. action/reaction) together to the point that it would be able to give him cause to think before acting. Given his ADHD and his Aspergers, I don’t think he will be able to use this cause and effect as a basis for future decisions. He is simply going to look at it as, “I didn’t get to go mountain biking.” Again, had they told me they had cause for concern last week, I might have been able to swing going, but being given the phone call late this morning, there was simply no way my schedule could have been adjusted to fit the request.
I’m not sure whom I am most upset with – the school, S, the fact that I can’t go, or that I can’t do anything to help my wee man.
This just stinks.

Then, to throw more in the mix, I made an error in judgment at the office – which caused my boss a bit of aggravation this morning. He and I have not had the chance to discuss. As I stewing about that, I got a “not good news” email from Cuz about her mother in law (my aunt) and her state of health. When I called my mom with the update, my mom didn’t take the news very well, and then I felt even guiltier.

I am going to have a meeting with boss before I head home for the night. I’m sure he won’t be half as upset about the turn of events as I have been - things will be fine, but I still tend to stew about things. I will have to try and figure out how I am going to get in to the city to see my Aunt in the hospital, but I am sure I will be able to figure that out once I sit down and look at things.

Coping with S, and his hurt wee feelings may be a little more difficult. Should be a fun night.

No comments: