Monday, June 23, 2008

Past Weekend

The family headed up to the cottage again this past weekend. (Actually, that is where we are going to be for the next few weekends!)
The thing that was unique for us this weekend was that my parents weren't there. They had a wedding to attend, so it was just our family of 4. Hubby and I both had a nice time, and I know the boys always have fun when we are there.

The cottage is actually located on a native reserve. Saturday was Aboriginal Day. We didn't get over to the pow wow on Saturday, though. The boys had asked permission to go, but by the time they started out, the event was already done. The evening fireworks, however, was something the entire family was able to go to. Other than the mosquitoes being bad just prior to the start of the display, I would have to say it was an incredible night! For such a small reserve, they certainly did not spare any expense to celebrate. I was really glad we made it over there.

Today was the A-man's last exam. He is very happy that he is no longer "a dumb niner" and will soon be in the double digits of grades. I hadn't thought about that until he mentioned that at dinner, but I guess that is the case.
S didn't go to school today. Given the turn of events on Friday, and then knowing that today was going to be the Grade 8 graduation - at the choas that goes with that - I opted to have him stay home and simply take it easy. Again, I know they wouldn't be doing any actual work, so I didn't feel like I was a bad parent. Sometimes staying home and out of the excitement is just what he needs.
S is going to go to school tomorrow, though. He wants to show his EA that he can have a good day - a day without incidents - so that she won't be so nervous about him going on the mountain biking expedition on Wednesday. He is very excited about getting to do that. I'm not sure if he will go on the last day, so I will get him to make sure his desk is empty tomorrow - just in case.

I am off on holidays next week, so the boys and I are going to head up to the cottage on Thursday night. Hubby is working nights, so he won't be arriving until late Saturday morning. We will likely stay at the cottage until Canada Day (July 1st) but a lot of what we do will depend on my sister in law. She is visiting from England and I know the boys will not want to miss the chance to see their favourite aunt. We will likely head back on Thursday or Friday of the next weekend to finish off our holidays.
Can you tell we love it up there??

No comments: