Monday, June 9, 2008

Educating the educator?

Last Thursday, I noticed a note in S's agenda from the EA. The note was written on Tuesday afternoon, and started with "S did not have a good day." It then when on to tell me that unprovoked, S approached another student and told an off-colour 'joke.'
First off, I didn't quite know why a child would need to be "provoked" in to telling a joke, but she obviously felt this way. The note then went on to tell me that when she asked S to go to the Principal's office for saying said joke, he refused. I am thinking that is what really ticked her off - she does not like to be told 'no.'

Anyway... I asked S to tell me what the joke was. He would not tell me. After a little while of my promising that I would not get angry, nor yell at him, he told me the joke. I must say, it was very rude, and really not appropriate. I determined where he had heard the joke - the A-man was in my bad books, I will admit - and then I had to try and figure out if he really even understood the punch line.
S claims that he did not really understand the joke, but when he told it to his first friend, the friend laughed, so he thought he should tell it to others. Hey, it got a laugh, so it must be funny, right? We can't admit that we don't 'get' the joke that others find amusing.
I guess it was while telling the joke to another friend that the EA overheard and told him to go to the office.

I think what bothered me the most was that when S told his EA that he didn't understand the joke, nor why she was angry with him, she told him that she thought that answer was "a bunch of bologna." Umm, PARDON ME? I would think prior to going off the deep end, this type of thing should be determined first, wouldn't you?
I wrote a note back in S's agenda indicating that I didn't think S understood the joke, given his lack of knowledge of such subjects, and I didn't appreciate the 'bunch of bologna' comment. S told me on Friday that the EA did read my note, but she did not to respond to me.

I sent an email to the doctor asking if it really was possible that S did understand the joke and was trying to pull the wool over my eyes. His answer is very hard to interpret, but from what I can get from it is that it is very possible that S was simply repeating the joke to all of his friends because they laughed. He would not have been able to read their faces/reactions to determine that it was off-colour or offensive.
It is a very sexually-innuendo type of joke, and in my gut, I really don't think he understands it. The A-man does for sure, but unless the A-man actually took the time to explain it to S, I really don't think he got it. Well, until the EA took it upon herself to actually explain it to him.
Again, is sex ed within the scope of an EA?

Only a few more weeks left of school. This has been a much better year for S, no doubt about it. I just hope that next year he is given an EA that has knowledge and experience with the multitude of issues that come with my wee little man.

----

On to another subject for a second. For regular readers of my blog, you will remember that I have been helping a lady that is trying to obtain special educational needs for her daughter. The school board finally agreed to provide a psycho-ed assessment for her daughter, but it did take a LOT to get to this point. Last week I got a phone call from the Mom telling me that she was going to get the full results on Monday (today), but she got a phone call from the board psychologist - the person that actually read the results - and it turns out that her daughter is developmentally delayed. Apparently her daughter has an IQ around either 60 or 70, I can't remember which. Either way, she is severely delayed, and I find it terrible that a child can get to the age of 13 and be almost finished Grade 7 before this type of thing is learned. An entire elementary school career, full of 'professional educators' have failed this child, in my opinion.

I realize this woman is a rude and overbearing parent. I realize she is harbouring a lot of resentment towards many of the teachers within that school - probably as much as the teachers resent this mother! But that does not excuse the fact that this girl can have such a severe delay and NO ONE caught it! Her report cards have always been B's and C's - with some A's in there. How can a child with an IQ of 60 or 70 be working "at grade level" (as a B mark is supposed to indicate) since she was 4 years old? I think accountability should be demanded in this case, but I am not going to be the person to let her know that.
I guess her daughter is going to get the IPRC she has been wanting... but how sad that this is the result of the fight.

No comments: