Friday, June 20, 2008

When will I learn?

When, exactly, am I going to learn to keep my trap shut?

I just had to go and jinx things this morning by posting my "good year" post. I didn't even make it to WORK this morning when I got a phone call from the school telling me that S had an incident on the bus, and had taken off from the school property.

Following his safe plan, S is not to be allowed to remain at school when he leaves the school property. Oh, I was so not impressed.

When I got to the school, the teacher in charge wasn't even 100% sure of where S had gone to. I asked if it was possible that he was in the special ed room, as that is where he is supposed to go when aggitated. We headed down that way and found S's EA there. She told us that he had locked himself in the bathroom.
I knocked and asked S to let me in. He refused. I asked a few times, actually. After a while, I finally gave up trying to actually get in to the washroom, and just asked him to tell me - through the door - what had happened to get him so upset. He started to tell me, but after a few minutes, another EA started talking with S's, and I could no longer hear him. I told him I could hear him, and he let me in the washroom.

We talked about the event of the morning, and what he did wrong, and the possible solutions we could come up with to ease things for him for the rest of the school year. (Which is only 4 days.)
After we reached an agreement, I encouraged him to take the 'meeting' outside so that we could fill the EA and the teacher in charge in on what had transpired.

The teacher in charge had gone to get the other child's story while I was trying to coax S out of the washroom. By the time she had returned, the majority of the story had been shared with the EA, and the EA had a chance to voice her concerns about S's behaviour of late, and the upcoming field trip. I think he understands the severity of her (and mine) concern. I'm hoping so, anyway.

When the teacher in charge heard S's version of what happened, she did indicate to S that she had obviously not heard the whole story - except for the parts where S had done some incorrect things (such as taking off his seat belt to move locations on the moving van.)

Anyway, by 9:35, I was leaving the school with S in tow. I took him to work with me, and had him work on his worksheets. He was very good to sit and do all of the homework that he had, and didn't start to run out of things to do until close to lunch time. I made him a quick sandwich in the kitchen, then finished up a few more things on my desk and then left for the day.
We picked up the A-man at my parents house, as he had called around 11:30 to let me know he was done his exam.
I am doing the last of the laundry, and I think we will be all packed and ready to go to the cottage by the time Hubby arrives home from work. I think he and I are going to have some serious conversation about the rest of the week, and S's attendance.

What a flipping day.

No comments: