Thursday, October 30, 2008

Homework supervision

I've been sitting here, quietly, listening to S completing his homework.
He has been at it for well over an hour now, and there has not be one single iota of complaints coming from a (normally) vocal boy. I think he realizes that he crossed that line last night.

I was very upset with him this morning when I realized the homework had not be completed. Then, to top it off, after he left for school, I found the bag that holds his laptop - he had forgotten to take it to school with him.
I dropped the bag off at school for S on my way to work. As I handed the bag to his EA, she said to me, "Good morning, how are you?" I told her that I was NOT very pleased with my son and she agreed that she was also upset with him. I gather he had already told her that the homework did not get done.
After I got to work, I started thinking and wondered if S had actually taken the time to get his house key from where ever it is that he stores it. I highly doubted it. I have noticed more and more that he just does not seem to be thinking things through lately. It is drving me crazy.

Guess what? I was right. When I got home from work, S was standing outside the house and very glad to see me. I'm still not sure why he wasn't wearing his winter jacket; I've given up asking about the "logic" that runs through his head.
Normally on the days that S doesn't take his key to school, the A-man is able to 'rescue' S by letting him in to the house. Today, however, the A-man didn't come home from school. The A-man had planned to remain in town because he wanted to go to the school dance tonight. (He is going to stay overnight at my parents to save me the hour-long round trip.) S wasn't paying attention to the conversation this morning, obviously, or he would have known all of this.

Anyway, the homework is now all done and S has been VERY good to do anything/everything that I have requested tonight.

My final decision regarding the television and other electronic devices - no longer permitted on a school night. Period. Some time on some of the games will be granted on occassion, but for the most part, there will be none from Sunday night to Thursday night.
I told S that this would be the case until he started to improve on his ability to help around the house and do the jobs/tasks that are required of a boy his age. Once I see a marked improvement I will readdress the question. Until then, nadda.

~~~

Here is a really good Math Website that will help kids of all ages with many types of math issues. S was very pleased to introduce me to it. Apparently they use this website every morning to limber up their minds. Since it is for JK to Grade 12, I figure all can benefit from it. Enjoy.

No comments: