Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Bake-a-thon

The A-man 'forgot' about our baking date on Tuesday evening, so we had a major marathon last night. He actually did most of the work himself, and I think he did very well, too.
He started by making mini-zucchini loafs and while they were in the oven, moved on to making banana-chocolate chip muffins. After that, he made up the batter for carrot-spice muffins (which is when I realized we were missing a couple of ingredients and I had to run to the store.) Hate it when that happens!

Once we finally got the carrot muffins in to the oven, it was on to the cookie pizza. Now, I have made this cookie pizza for about 8 years or so. As a rule, I only make this once or twice a year, and only for special occasions at the school - when the boys ask me to make it. This thing is a butter-based cookie dough, topped with sweetened condensed milk, mini marshmallows, chocolate chips and smarties. It is NOT the type of item you would give to your ADHD child very often, let me tell you. (I'm sure the teachers would curse me when I sent this concoction to the school...)
The A-man was positive it would do well at the school bake sale. In the elementary school, slices of this pizza was always sold out very quickly when taken in for a bake sale. I sure hope for the A-man's sake that it was as popular in highschool as in elementary...

By the time we finished baking, I was beat. Actually, I didn't even do the majority of the work, either. I did the grating/chopping/mashing and added a few ingredients along the way, but for the most part, the A-man did it all. S was very pleased that he was able to be the A-man's sous chef. He had even brough his apron and chef's hat home from school for the event.

The thing that made me laugh the most, though, was when the A-man was giving S a very serious lecture on the proper procedure for hand-washing prior to cooking/baking. The lesson was complete with, "You need to lather for a full 20-seconds" and then when S used his hand to turn off the tap, the A-man told him he just contaminted his hands and made S do it again. While S was re-washing his hands, the A-man explained that a paper towel needed to be used when turning off the tap, etc. What surprised me the most, though, was that S actually did what the A-man requested, and never once, argued or gave a hard time. (This is huge, trust me.)

My babies are growing up. I took some pictures last night and will post them when I have a chance.

1 comment:

SIG said...

Oh yes, please do share the photos of the bakes. :) Bet they were all yummy.